Chapter 9: Sensation

Kay...

Walking in our front door, I drop my purse on the table, then see Buddy and Max staring at me. Our beagles have to go out, but my energy level is at an all-time low.

"Come on boys, out you go," I say while heading to the back door.

When I get there, the boys did not follow me and I turn to see where they went.

Glancing around, I find they have not moved from the foyer and are growling at the front door.

"What's going on, boys? Is someone out there?" I ask.

As I go to step past them, they block my way and push me backward.

"Cut it out!" I exclaim.

Reaching for the door handle, the sounds my dogs are making intensifies and grows in urgency. Sliding the chain onto the door, I slowly open it up and peek outside.

"What is wrong with the two of you? There is no one out there. Good God, I nearly peed my pants. Come on, out you go." I scold while dragging the two of them to the back door.

Pushing Max and Buddy outside, I shut it and lock them out.

That was weird.

Returning to the living room, Calypso, our cat, runs past me, and I jump.

"Jesus, what is wrong with all of you?" I shout and then head into the bathroom.

After washing my hands, I splash water on my face and then stare into the mirror. The lines on my face are becoming more pronounced and I look old.

Drying my hands, I walk to the bedroom and slip my bra off from beneath my blouse. Tossing it into the hamper, I flop down onto my bed and close my eyes.

Instantly, I start to drift off and feel at peace for the first time today.

Hearing a loud ringing sound, I sit straight up in bed and feel shaky. My body is trembling and then I see it's just the phone.

"Jesus!" I shout and then grab the phone.

Feeling annoyed, I say in a tone, "Hello?"

"Hey Kay, it's Missy. Did I call at a bad time?" She asks.

Clearing my throat, I reply, "No, not at all. How are you girly?"

Moving my pillows, I get comfortable and lean back.

Missy says, "Well, life is crazy as always, but I love the new job. Working with all men is not as bad as I thought. Our firm just got an extensive project in and we are redesigning the old Seneca Mall into a senior center. How crazy is that? Every time I walk by the old fireplace, I think of you. The two of us just sitting there, guy watching and smoking. How funny it is to think they used to let us smoke in the mall."

"Yes, those days are long gone," I say while looking at my wedding ring.

She then says, "Um... I have some news and I'm not sure how to tell you."

"Okay, is it bad?" I ask while sitting back up.

Missy is quiet for a moment and then answers, "Yeah... Um... Gerry is gone."

"Gone where? Did he leave his wife and kids?" I ask while the anxiousness fills me.

She says, "No Kay, he killed himself."

"WHAT! Are you kidding? No, no, he didn't... Oh, God." I cry.

Missy cries too, and for a moment we just sob.