Emma Olmstead- part 2

It was the next morning, a Monday and Callie was combing Emma's hair after a shower again, their typical morning routine.
Stef walked by the bathroom,
"Goodmorning sunshine" she said smiling.
"Good morning, hey, what do you say?" Callie said to Emma.
She looked over at Stef then walked up to her,
"Sorry" she said quietly then gave her a hug.
"Awe, thank you and of course I forgive you" Stef said and Emma smiled big.
"Yayy" she said going back to Callie so she could finish her hair.
"Hurry up in there, I don't have all day" Mariana shouted.
"What's going on in here?" Stef popped her head into the room.
"Oh, I'm gonna paint Emma's nails. She wanted sparkly pink!" Mariana said showing her the color.
"That's nice of you" Stef said.
"Yeah, I love Emma so much. I'll do her nails any day"
"She is a great kid isn't she?" Stef said.
"Ohh yeah. She's super well behaved too. Being a big sister and auntie all in one feels weird though" Mariana said laughing.
Stef thought about what she said, she also loved Emma and wanted Callie to feel safe here with her.

~

"So, umm I was thinking we should take Emma to see a behavioral specialist" Stef said to Lena later that day in private.
"I think that's a great idea honey" lena said surprised Stef even brought up the idea.
"I did some thinking today and... well, I wanna keep them around a little longer." Stef said smiling at Lena.
"Me too" Lena said. They felt a connection with the two of them and neither of them wanted to put them back in the system. Not when Callie and a small toddler are both at risk.
"Like you said, it's not her fault she was never raised right and pregnancy is common among foster kids so I just think I was being too harsh. I would like to hear what she has to say. We need to talk to Callie today. About all of this and cut the the point" Stef said.
"I agree" Lena said. Later that night when they came back from school and Emma was taking a nap Stef pulled Callie aside.
"So, we need to finish the conversation from yesterday" she said and Callie took a deep breath and sat down.
"Okay but first, I'm sorry how I acted yesterday I felt like I was being judged and I just-"
"No.. we understand it must be hard when two strangers are interrogating you about your past" Lena said shrugging her shoulders and Callie nodded.
"I just.. didn't want you guys to think of me any different" she said shamefully.
"What do you mean? For having a baby young? Callie, we were just concerned and wanted to make sure you're being safe now and not going to make that mistake again, that's all" Lena said.
"No... not that it's just.. her father, Liam, he's in jail but not for fraud" she said looking down still.
"Ohh, so he didn't commit credit card fraud?" Stef said confused.
"He did.. that's just not the reason he got convicted but it's part of it.. I was 12 and he was 18. He was my foster brother and we kinda got into a relationship behind his parents back. He made me believe that this was a normal thing. As we continued to get more close he came into my room one night and asked me to have sex... and I.. I " Callie continued but it was hard for her to say so she paused.
Lena and Stef watched, they knew deep down what she was going to say. They were completely shocked and horrified as they waited for her to continue.
"Take your time" Stef said and Callie looked up at them,
"I told him no" she said as her voice cracked she looked down remembering that night.
"Oh my god" Lena said rubbing Callie's arm.
"I said no and he didn't care... he forced me.. he forced me to have sex" she said as a few tears rolled down her cheeks.
"I was so young and it hurt so bad and I kept telling him to stop and he didn't care. I already had my period but I never even thought about maybe being pregnant because of that. After that day I told my foster family and they kicked me out, they believed their perfect son over the trashy foster girl no matter what" she stopped for a second and Stef shook her head in disbelief.
"The next foster house I was in I found out I was pregnant because I didn't get my period for a few months and I googled and that's the first thing that popped up. I was too scared to tell my foster parents so I kept it a secret, I never even took a test.. I guess I just thought that if I didn't think about it that it wasn't really happening. After a few months I started showing more and they forced me to got to the doctor's. Everyone treated me like a whore and they kicked me out as well. The next foster house I was in was actually pretty nice, the understood and I told them the truth. They made me go to court and that's what put Liam away, we were able to prove the baby was his with a paternity test and yeah" Callie said taking a deep breath.
"Did you ever get the option, you know there's so many options for mother's who are pregnant especially young ones" Stef said.
"I didn't. Not until it was too late anyway. If it happened now I would choose differently but I was naive and I thought having the baby was best. I do love Emma though, because of her I'm not alone" she said smiling.
"Wow, I'm so sorry that happened to you Callie" Lena said holding her hand.
"It's okay. I actually really love being a mom and this has taught me my worth, I never want to see Liam again" she said.
"I'm so sorry for assuming you were just an irresponsible kid. It happens too often that foster kids are taken advantage of and not given the chance to say their side" Stef said wiping her own tears away.
"It's okay, you don't know me. I get that I can come off as stubborn but I kinda have to, so I can protect Emma" she said shrugging.
"But we do.. I know you are a loving, kind, so incredibly strong, and wonderful person Callie, you need to give yourself a break" she said and Callie's eyes glistened with tears.
"And I'm so glad that bastard is in jail" she added.
"Me too. Thank you.. I love you guys. You've been so nice to Emma and I and she loves it here"
"Oh, we love you too honey" Lena said hugging Callie,
"Oh yes and you're stuck with us" Stef said hugging her as well giving her a mama sandwhich.
"Both of you are" Stef added giving her a kiss.