Chapter 5

Nick

I was a little emotional when I saw Demi step inside the tent, looking stunning in a wedding gown. I held the tears back for as long as I could. I let them escape a little when she hugged me, because I could feel her crying against me. It didn't matter if they were happy tears or sad tears, when Demi cried, I usually wanted to cry with her.

My dad cleared his throat & I knew as soon as he started to speak, I wasn't going to be able to hold back the tears. "Twelve years ago today, most of us were with Nick & Demi when they said, 'I do,' for the first time. Some of the guests here tonight, were not at their first wedding." Dad chuckled, then turned his head to grin & wink at his grand kids. I couldn't help but to look over Demi, to our children, who were all sitting in the front row, watching us with smiles on their faces. Riley & Harper, though, were both passed out, which was good so they wouldn't be running around. I smiled, proudly at them, then looked back at Demi, who was probably afraid if she turned to look anywhere other than my face, she'd lose her composure. I heard Dad clear his throat again before he continued. "There are six angels sitting over there, two of them sleeping." Dad said & everyone chuckled. "And then there is an angel that isn't there but who is surely looking down on all of us tonight & I know she is smiling." I felt the lump in my throat as I watched Demi close her eyes for a moment. I squeezed her hand & ran my thumb over it, softly, to comfort her. "She's smiling because we're all smiling at the love that oozes out of these two people standing before me. Those six angels over there are the proof that the last twelve years have been blessed. They had bad times & they had good times & through it all, they kept holding hands & got through it all. If they ever let go of each other's hands, they just had to reach a little further to grab hold of those hands again. Since they are holding hands tonight, wanting to recommit themselves to each other, they know what forever means. Their family is forever. Their love is forever. Their marriage is forever. Love does not make the world go round. Love makes the ride worthwhile. I think it is safe to say that Nick & Demi are going to have the most worthwhile ride throughout their lives because they have a love that has all the key components. Intimacy. Passion. Commitment. Without any one of those three elements, a marriage can fall apart. So congratulations to Nick & Demi on twelve years. Nick, go ahead & kiss your bride again." Dad laughed as put his hands together.

I brought my hands up to Demi's face & held it as I kissed her lips, sweetly. Our friends & family clapped around us as we kissed. After our lips parted, I turned to everyone. "I know it's late, so I'm just going to say thank you for sharing this special moment with us tonight & to those of you that helped me pull this off I will be forever in your debt. There is cake in the corner if anyone wants a piece before they leave. We'll hang out for a few minutes, then we can all go to our hotels to go to bed. Me.... I plan on taking my wife to bed very soon so we can work on two of the three components of marriage." I chuckled, looking at Demi & everyone laughed, then I kissed her cheek. 

"Good thing honesty isn't a component." She poked me in the side & smiled up at me. "You lied to me, Mr. Jonas." Her eyes narrowed, looking like she was mad at me, but I knew she wasn't.

I chuckled, putting my arms around her waist. "I did. A lot in fact. But lying is okay when you're trying to pull off a surprise. Especially a romantic surprise." I smirked as she nodded, coyly, then we kissed again.

"So there wasn't a charity event & you don't have anywhere to be tomorrow?" Demi asked, her eyes still narrowed, probably realizing all the lies I had told her over the last few weeks. I shook my head, sucking my bottom lip in. "Is B really working on something?" She asked & I shook my head again.

"This was the performance piece she was working on."

Demi rolled her eyes, smiling. "So there's no commercial or photo shoot?" She stuck her lip out as her disappointed eyes looked into mine.