Chapter 17

Demi

After our Christmas break ended, the kids went back to school & Nick & I went back to working on whatever we had been working on before the attack happened. I was busy working on my book stuff, since it was going to be turned into a movie, plus I was also working on the camp we were hoping to open this year or the following year. Nick was working with lots of people, producing, writing & recording in his studio, as well as other studios. He was also working on writing another Broadway show, well, he was writing several because he still wanted to have something he had written on the Broadway stage. He wasn't sure which one would be chosen by the team he would work with, so he was covering his bases. Nick was also still wanting to do some more acting, but he had to have an amazing opportunity before he would leave us again to film it.

My headaches were subsiding a little as time went on, but I was having other issues that were annoying. I was irritable a lot & impatient more than I ever used to be. It seemed to be getting worse the more time that went by, but my doctors assured me it would eventually get better. I felt so bad for my family when I snapped at them for no reason.

The worst thing that happened was one Sunday afternoon in early February, when I was stressed after I had a crazy stressful week. I had to testify in court for Vernon's hearing, causing the memories to came back. It made me more upset about everything, but then with my brain injury, it was ten times worse. I was also stressed because that week, we also had trouble with Reid in school. He was being hyper & causing problems during class, so Nick & I had to have a meeting with his teacher that next week.

On that Sunday, we had a nice morning of playing with the kids, then, after lunch, we put the younger ones down for a nap, while the twins & Reid kept playing outside. Karleigh was there as well, since she was still Mercy's best friend & was becoming best friends with Jerry as well. Some days they seemed closer than her & Mercy were, depending on the time of year & what was going on.

Nick & I went down to his studio so he could play a song for me that he had written the week before. I listened to it & gave him my opinion. Then Nick started talking about a project he was thinking of doing & it consisted of him working closely with a lot of dancers, who happened to be girls. I don't know why, but I lost it. I started screaming at him & I don't even remember everything I said. Nick stared at me, saying nothing as I yelled at him, accusing him of being interested in these girls sexually. The words were coming out of my mouth & it was as if I had no control. Finally, I stopped yelling & just stood there huffing & puffing in front of him. He continued to stare at me as tears filled my eyes. They were angry tears & I honestly had no idea why I was so mad. He hadn't done anything wrong & he wasn't even speaking, anymore.

As I breathed hard, my hands on my hips, I felt myself getting more angry that Nick wasn't saying anything. "Why are you just standing there like an idiot? Am I right? Are you thinking you can fuck these girls behind my back while you're working on this project?" I used air quotes & in my head I was telling myself to shut the fuck up. I wasn't listening. I couldn't stop my anger from building. I felt like I was going to snap in half. I had mood swings in my life before or hormonal outbursts, but this made everything before, feel like a walk in the park. Nick didn't want to make me more mad. He was trying to stay calm, hoping it would calm me down, but it had the opposite effect.

"I'm going to go outside & hang with the kids, while you calm down." Nick said, sounding like he was the parent & I was his kid. This infuriated me more & I started shaking, uncontrollably. When Nick turned around to walk away from me, that's when I felt like I stepped outside of my body.

My hands raised up & I couldn't stop it. I shoved Nick really hard in the back & since he wasn't expecting it, he stumbled forward a little. My adrenaline was pumping throughout my body as he turned to look at me, incredulously. "I don't want to fucking calm down. I want you to tell me I'm wrong. Or tell me I'm right." I screamed at him. "Either way, acknowledge what I am saying, Asshole."