Chapter 18

Nick

I never expected to see this man again, if you could even call him a man. What kind of man turns a woman against her husband so he can manipulate her & take advantage of her in a vulnerable state? As I stared at Rafe, the memory came rushing back into my head like I was watching a movie. Demi on that couch, Rafe on top of her, his hand on her ass, her mouth open as she moaned & then the kiss was there in my brain. My eyes had to look away from him, hoping it would make the memory go away as well. I looked down at the table & shook my head. The visual started to fade, thankfully. I was picturing my kids or Demi on our wedding day, anything that helped me rid my head of this painful memory.

I wished so bad that I could see Demi's face. The man I was ten years ago was curious to see if she looked happy to see him. I tried to tell my younger self that Demi wasn't the same person she was back then, but there was still a part of me that was worried. I was human, after all & my marriage almost ended because of this one man who stood in the same room with me now.

"Demi. It's so good to see you." Rafe said as he walked toward the table. I had to breathe, deeply, to keep myself from standing up & putting the guy in a choke hold. I heard him say my name & I felt my heart beat faster in my chest. I didn't acknowledge him, but instead sipped at my drink that was helping me stay sane at that moment.

Rafe sat down & there was some small talk exchanged between him & Demi's team from her publishing company. I could feel Demi's gaze on me, but I didn't look up from my drink. It was bad enough I had to hear his voice & hear these people talk to him like he was this stand up guy.

"Listen.... I don't know if you are aware of my history with Rafe.... but it isn't one that I want to repeat." I heard Demi say & for the first time I looked up at the people facing her. Their faces weren't sympathetic in any way.

One of the men spoke up, "We were told a little bit of it, but it was brought to our attention after the producer of the series had already decided to go with Rafe for this project. He has heard other stuff he's written & produced or just been a part of. Besides, Rafe has turned over a new leaf & one of the reasons he wanted to be a part of this was to make amends to you, Demi."

I glanced over at Rafe who was sitting at a 90 degree angle from Demi & he was watching her closely, trying to look innocent. I wasn't sure I was buying this act, but this wasn't up to me. If Demi was going to snap because of her brain injury, I thought this would be a perfect time. That thought made me laugh, but I had stifled it a little so it came out under my breath, sounding like I didn't believe what was said. Everyone turned to look at me. "Sorry. I'm going to go get some air. You don't need me here." I looked at Demi, who looked up at me as I stood, sorrow in her eyes. I rubbed her back to reassure her that I wasn't blaming her or upset at her, then I nodded at everyone & I went outside of the restaurant.

I stood outside for a few minutes, taking deep breaths & watching people come & go from the establishment. A few times, someone recognized me & would ask for a photo, so that helped to calm me down. I did some thinking, too, while I stood out there & it had been almost ten years since Rafe had destroyed my relationship, temporarily. Demi & I fought through it & we got to a place even better than we were before. Maybe I owed Rafe a little because after that happened, Demi & I both loved each other deeper & fought harder to work through whatever was thrown our way.

It had been a while that I stood outside, when my phone chirped. I looked at my text from Demi, "Please come back in." I shoved my phone into my pocket as I headed inside. I found everyone standing when I got to the room & Rafe was smiling as he talked to one of the people on Demi's team. Demi looked annoyed, then looked relieved when she saw me. It warmed my heart, to be honest. I loved that look in her eye that said 'Thank God, you're here.' I went to her & slipped my hand onto her lower back & kissed her temple.