Chapter 27

Demi

Spending time with all girls was just what I needed & I loved talking about boys with Mercy & her friends. If Nick knew, he'd be so pissed at me. I listened to Mercy gush about Jax & wonder if he was going to talk to her again after what Nick did. I, too, hated my little girl growing up, but it was inevitable & I wanted to make sure she wasn't scarred for life by her overbearing father. God love him, but he overreacted with the whole kiss thing. It was only going to get worse, sadly, so I knew I needed to have a little heart to heart with my husband.

The night after the sleepovers, Nick was already in bed, when I came in from tending to Riley, who woke up screaming. I think she had a bad dream, but in any case, it was terrifying. I had to hold her for a while until she finally fell back asleep, but honestly, I loved that time with her. I climbed back into bed, next to Nick as he laid there, staring up at the ceiling. "Riley is back to sleep, so she's fine. You look deep in thought." I commented as I leaned down on my elbow next to him.

He sighed, sounding a little sad. "Mercy's still mad at me."

"She'll get over it soon. She can't stay mad at her daddy." I smiled as I placed my hand on his chest. I saw his eyebrows go together & I knew he was worried that she would stay mad at him. I sighed, deeply as I sat up. "Nick. I need to talk to you about what happened with Mercy, actually."

"What about it?" He turned his head, slightly, his forehead now creased.

"You really embarrassed her. You can't do that kind of stuff, sweetie. You totally overreacted about the kiss & I'm sorry, but it was just an innocent kiss."

"Innocent kiss?" Nick sat up & moved back to lean on the headboard, his hands getting ready to flail like they always did when he was passionate about something. "Demi, you didn't see it. She was up against the wall & he was leaning toward her with his hand on her waist & I bet the other hand was resting on the wall beside her, I just couldn't see it. They looked just like we do right before I'm about to fuck you against a wall."

My head fell back as I cackled & held my stomach because I was laughing so hard. I saw Nick scowling at me when I finally stopped laughing to look at him. "Oh my God. You were serious." I pressed my lips together because I wanted to laugh again, but he looked so upset, I didn't. "Nothing was gonna happen, Nick. It's your little girl & you're protective. I get that. It's clouding your judgement & making you overreact. You know he wasn't gonna push her up against that wall & fuck her." I clicked my tongue & Nick just shrugged, but I could tell by his face that he believed that too. "You know I love you & you know that I want to have your back always, but I can't back you up when you are being ridiculous & overreacting to shit."

"Fine." Nick said in a huff & I could tell he was annoyed as he scooted down in the bed. "Goodnight."

"Nick, don't get mad."

"I'm not mad. I'm done talking about this." He rolled over with his back to me & I smacked him, lightly, making him turn to look at me over his shoulder. "Did you just hit me?" He asked, looking like he might laugh.

"You aren't turning over & going to sleep. I'm not done talking about this."

Nick sighed & rolled onto his back, putting one hand behind his head. "What else is there to say?"

"She's not a baby anymore & she's interested in boys. You can't stop it."

Nick's eyebrows shot up as he rolled to face me. "Did you hear how she talked to me? Did you see the attitude, Demi? That shit isn't gonna fly, I don't care what is going on."