Chapter 16

Nick

Our holidays were amazing in 2029. Not only were we all so grateful that Demi was alive & well but also thankful that Mercy wasn't harmed by some sick asshole. And I was glad we had renewed our wedding vows, solidifying our union together as husband & wife, forever.

Christmas eve we went to the Children's hospital with some of the kids to pass out presents to the children that were stuck there for the holidays. Of course Mercy & Jerry went, but Karleigh also came with us, as well as Reid & Avery. They all had a lot of fun. Demi even had fun, despite the headache she had. Ever since her attack, she had gotten headaches more often. The doctors said that was a side effect, so I tried to help her relieve them or not add to them.

Demi was a little quicker to anger as well, just as the doctor warned, but I took all of it with a grain of salt, thinking I was pretty lucky to have her with me at all. I tried not to sweat the outbursts. Usually, they were only geared toward me, but every once in a while she would snap at one of the kids when she was feeling stressed, but most of the time she apologized after realizing what she did.

We spent Christmas Eve at home & invited our family & friends over. Most everyone showed up at some point, so it was a nice evening. Christmas morning we got up at the asscrack of dawn & watched the kids open presents. After we had everything opened, the kids played while Demi & I cleaned up, then we got everyone ready. First, we headed to Demi's parents then after a few hours with them, we left to go to my parents. By the time we got home, the kids were all exhausted.

I wasn't doing any kind of work until a few weeks into the new year, but Demi & I had to deal with the trial of Vernon Phillips. Demi was having to relive the details when she told the police what she remembered, which was similar to what Mercy had told them. I also had to tell Demi, as well as Wilmer what Vernon had said to me in the small room at the police station. Demi was so disgusted with the revelation & she blamed herself after that, even though she told me she wasn't. I could tell by her actions that she blamed herself. Wilmer wanted to kill this guy, too, so he was going to go with us to any trials. Demi didn't have to face the piece of shit until sometime in late January when she had to testify. The prosecutor wanted Mercy to testify & Demi & I were hesitant, but we knew it was the best way to put this bastard behind bars for good. We tried not to think about all of it until we had to, so we could enjoy the holidays.

Joe was having a New Year's eve party this year & it was for adults & kids, so that's how we spent our New Year's eve. The kids played, while the adults had their own fun. I had a few drinks, since Demi insisted she would drive us home. I didn't get drunk, because I didn't want my kids to see me like that, but I did drink enough to get a nice buzz going on.

Just before midnight, everyone gathered in Joe's living room & family room that were separated by only a little wall. My mom carried Riley, while my dad carried Harper & I had my arms around Demi's waist. It was almost time for the countdown & I was kissing Demi's neck, making her giggle.

"Daddy!" Mercy shouted at me. I looked at her with my eyes wide since her yelling surprised me. "I asked you a question & you're too busy kissing Mommy's neck that you can't even hear me." She was pouting & she looked so much like her mother, it made me smile.

"I'm sorry, baby girl. What did you want to ask me?" I sat on a chair & pulled Demi down on my lap. Her arm went around my neck & we both watched Mercy, waiting for her to talk.

"Are you drunk?" Mercy asked, her eyes narrowed at me. I laughed because not only was the question weird coming from my ten year old daughter, but I also laughed because it was like a mini Demi speaking to me right now.