49. Xenon

SÓLMÁNUÐUR DAY OF FRIGG

My spoon stopped midway right after Sullien materialized in the middle of the room. Every time Sullien appeared unexpectedly, he became the messenger of the worst news.

"The treasure of Hasfor had been found by the Cattivos. Only the Lost Treasure of Deliora is missing and all the Lost Treasures are completed. We need to find it as soon as possible," he spoke with haste and I was not wrong from what I had assumed.

It was indeed bad news.

All treasures had been ultimately found. It was a matter of time who decided to do the offense first. However, we probably had an advantage as the Lost Treasure of Deliora was not something easily acquired unless they knew about the secret of the Mark of Deliora.

"We found it already," informed Reichen who also stopped eating.

"Truly?" Sullien's expression shifted from alert to aghast in a second. His gaze directed at me as if asking for confirmation.

"Yes," I affirmed.

"At this rate, we'll have a conference tomorrow. Go and inform all the members. We need to move in haste and turn the tides in our favor," ordered Reichen

"I understand. By the by, I'm actually curious what it looks like since it's been centuries since we heard about it and there were no clear records about the jewel."

"It is quite complicated."

"How so?" Sullien delved.

"Well, then, since all the Lost Treasures were found, we don't need to go out tonight?" I interfered to change the topic as Reichen had no plans to reply when he reached out for more soup.

Reichen inclined his head. "Apparently."

The door burst open with a bang before I could speak. It was a new guest. Definitely another messenger of bad news.

"Good thing, you're here also, Sullien. Ace, can you leave us for a while," he asked right away.

I agreed immediately as he seemed to be in a hurry, I put down my utensils and stood up.

"Here. You're probably still hungry." Reichen also got up and gave me the basket of bread.

We didn't have breakfast as we both woke up late after we arrived just this morning from our fruitless search at Hasfor. We were having our luncheon but with visitors who had something urgent to discuss, I could not complain.

"I don't need this much," I muttered and only took one piece before exiting.

***

I proceeded to the garden and tended the flowers. The rose bush had simply been planted but they were not trimmed so I grabbed the pruning scissors and kept myself occupied while I waited.

I guessed since I was a new member I was excluded from their private meetings. I wondered what they were talking about. It must be crucial if they didn't want me there. I felt undeniably left out but who was I to whine? I should be even glad I was accepted here. 

I only hoped they would not abandon me. I didn't want to return to that palace. I hated to go back but I knew I would return in a heartbeat if something went wrong. 

The problem was, that I still heard nothing about Ezriel. For some reason, it was too silent that there were not even mindless gossip when I loitered on the borders of Ezriel as if the whole kingdom was a peaceful one.

The nobles and royals had always been a favorite topic of commoners, I had gone missing but no one had been chattering about it. Even the knights seemed to have given up. I had roamed the streets daily these past few days but I never saw them dallying again.