03. Fedor Manor

The empty hallway was already flooded with lamp light by the time Father and I finished our so-called talking. I made my way to my bed chamber, walking at a slower stride due to the prickling every time my dress brushed the opened wounds on my back.

Thankfully, it became bearable along the way as a familiar sensation enveloped my body — akin to a warm breeze, soothing the pain from those lacerations.

It was a mysterious ability I had discovered when my life started going downhill. My injuries healed quickly but with such large slashes, like the ones currently marking my skin, it could take a day or two before it fully heals. Fortunately, the bleeding had stopped, though that didn't mean it did not hurt like hell.

This was how my father showed his sham of love to me. If my sisters were mean, Father gave me a whole new definition of cruel.

When I finally turned toward the corridor to my room, I stood up straight— gracefully sauntered as if nothing fared. As if my dignity was intact. As if I was really the princess they thought I was, denying the fact that everything was a farce.

The assigned knight for today opened the door upon seeing me. I entered and shut it close, locking the door. An action that would not make sense since I was the one being locked in the first place. But then again, it could only appease my imaginary freedom and indulgence in the illusion I had control in my life.

I teetered towards my bed and lay down with my face on the bed, closing my eyes while ignoring the pain.

Taking a deep breath, I'd rather look forward to tomorrow than wallow in pity. These kinds of thoughts swam in my head before I yielded to the exhaustion consuming me.

***

HARPA DAY OF TYR

The sky was particularly opaque tonight. The crescent moon barely shined through the darkness. It was too cloudy to even see the cluster of stars. Nevertheless, both corners of my lips raised.

It was a perfect night for the mission.

Usually, it took me days to do the mission but Xenon was nowhere at the moment so it was easier to escape. He probably had an errand tonight.

After being holed up in my room, I have nothing to do but memorize the blueprints and other details I needed to know for this mission.

I pushed aside the woolen rug that was held down by the weight of the bed. Underneath it was a door. No one seemed to care about it since if it was opened it was only the same wooden flooring as the room.

Basically, it was useless.

It could not be even considered a decoration which was why it was simply covered. Nobody even bothered to destroy it and for that, I was actually grateful.

They had no idea that it was a portal. I inserted the key Cindra gave me which activated the portal that led to a basement. I jumped down into the dim room. It was a close space and the only light was from the candle lamp. It was a storage area where I kept all the things I used as a thief and all the things I wanted to hide.

I pulled out the wooden chest and took a plain black shirt and black pants. It was the kind of outfit men typically wore. I also grabbed a matching hood. It helped me cover half of my face, primarily my eyes.

After all, it was not every day that anyone encountered a pair of violet eyes. And lastly, I placed my mask, it was the first thing Night gave me.

It was black like his. However, mine was a full mask with a part of my right cheek exposed. It had black swirling details, speckled with black glitter, and at the center of the forehead was a white spade. I glanced at the table and saw the knight's uniform. I put it in my bag in case I needed it.