41. Sun Month

SÓLMÁNUÐUR DAY OF SUN

Lightning appeared strange with his newly thinned mane which would not lie flat no matter how many times I combed it. Today was the day of the mission and I groomed Lightning as I waited for them to come.

We decided to assemble here and should be leaving before luncheon in order to arrive before sunset in the kingdom of Solaris. But then again, it was prior noontime but there were no signs of them yet. I had contacted them through the portier but none of them were answering.

I set aside the comb and went back to the cottage. It was silent in the whole house as Reichen was uncommonly cooped up inside the small study with some pressing matters he didn't want to disclose.

Another half an hour passed before Sullien appeared.

"Apologies. There was an urgent assembly for the royals I had to attend. Apparently, because of that, Blaze could not come. He was held up," he explained himself with urgency.

"Hm. What happened?"

"The news of the priestess missing had been widespread. Regardless of people in my kingdom hating us, they could not deny that without Lady Mhilrim, the chances of Amica going unrestrained are high with no one to stop them so all kingdoms were alerted and it's getting out of hand. Carrion, being the home of the priestess, is currently under fire with all the criticism."

"I see. Then we should get along."

Just in time, the door from the study opened and Reichen emerged.

"I'll go with you," he volunteered.

"Aren't you busy controllin--- I mean don't you have something to do?"

"You don't have to be on guard. She knows," replied Reichen.

"Truly?" asked Sullien with disbelief.

I nodded.

"Aren't you angry? I mean, he practically played you? He should be groveling on his feet if I were you."

"Stop giving her bloody ideas. Are you really a friend of mine?" Reichen scolded.

I absolutely acceded with Sullien. I should be angrier but the way he treated me and his confession was constantly on and off my mind which distracted me from my ire. When all was said and done, I could not believe he was the same man I met years ago and he liked me.

Although I could not deny that there was part of me that wanted to blame him because as he had surmised, one of us stimulated each other's awakening. Nonetheless, I withheld it since there was no confirmation who actually did pull the trigger.

"Are you surely going to Solaris, Reichen?" Sullien probed. "I thought you hate going to the sea and we're going to a temple near it."

"You don't like the sea?" I peered at Reichen who was shifting on his feet.

"Disdain is the proper word, Ace. Reichen had an uncanny repugnance to it," Sullien informed.

"When did I say that? Your memory must be poor," denied Reichen.

"You did tell me you disdain the sea. Just seeing it makes you sick. Those were your very drunken words."

"Emphasize on drunk," Reichen retorted.

"Honestly, you don't have to come, Reichen."

"If he was willing, then all is fine," I inserted.

"But..."

"It's better to have more people, right? You mentioned that it will take a long time to find the jewel."

Sullien let out a reluctant sigh. "I concur but don't come shaking in fright later, Reichen," he added and chuckled at his joke.