10. The Second Day

Trigger Warning: This chapter may contain scenes including abuse, or emotional distress. If you are uncomfortable with the following, please skip this chapter.

The light footsteps resounded in the dimmed corridors lit by the soft light of chandeliers. Cindra and I were on our way to one of the private parlors for the guests. Stillness surrounded us the whole way since there was really nothing to talk about that wouldn't arouse anyone's curiosity.

The circuit must be taking some time to fix. It was a tiny bomb but it could create sufficient damage to give me some time to hide the pearl but everything went out of hand the moment I realized there were several people who had violet eyes.

Nevertheless, I proceeded with the plan and fortunately succeeded to snatch the Golden Pearl away.

We reached the parlor with haste and Cindra quickly locked it. It was the farthest room so there was nobody around us.

"That was really dangerous, Carline," said Cindra and faced me with her hand on her hips.

It was strange to hear my given name coming from her. Maybe because we were outside that was why she was calling me like that.

"You did not even awaken. I saw him holding the chest before the commotion. You practically stole it in front of his eyes. What if he grasped it was you? Furthermore, you even encountered one of the people I despise," she listed all my mistakes and I let her words pass through my ears.

It was always better to speak when everything was calm.

"Still, I got it," I said after I thought she was done talking.

"Heavens! If your identity is ascertained, everything will be over," she continued, her other arm massaging her temples.

That made me quiet. I remembered the scene earlier. If Crown Prince Lander arrived earlier I would have failed. Worse, exposed.

"But, Cindra, why were there many people who had violet eyes? Even my friend had the same eyes as mine now. What does it mean?"

That had been bugging me since earlier. I completely forgot to even ask Willow since I was so engrossed talking to her.

"I knew you would ask this the moment you attend this party but I promised Night that he would be the one to answer all your questions. It's better not to be too curious about it, dear," said Cindra, and sighed wearily.

I wanted to nod but this situation made me more interested. This may have been the key to why I was suffering in Father's hand. The reason why he was so fascinated with my eyes.

"I'm sincerely asking you this, Carline. This is all for your own good. Do not get involved with others like us in the meantime."

This time I conceded, seeing how serious she was.

"And about the pearl. Where have you hidden it? It's better to return it now," she suggested.

"Actually..."

I rummaged through my top and took the pearl. Because of the layers of cloth, it was not that noticeable since my chest was stuffed earlier to make the dress more fitting, considering Willow was well-endowed and I was what they called flat as a board.

I gave it to her and fixed my dress.

"I will send this to them, while you go back to your room, okay?" said Cindra.

She stepped in front of the door and said her incantation, "My name is Cindra, awaken."

There was a spontaneous change in the atmosphere but it was brief. She twisted her head back and bid goodbye.