23. The Selection

Trigger Warning: This chapter may contain scenes including violence, trauma, abuse, or emotional distress. If you are uncomfortable with the following, please skip this chapter.

SKERPLA DAY OF FRIGG

Something's going on. I was sure of that conclusion as I dragged my feet reluctantly, taking slow easy steps to take my time.

The grogginess after spending the whole time till dawn thinking about my family was not enough to distract me from the uneasiness I felt as I walked further.

"Just what is it this time?" I muttered under my breath.

"Pardon, Princess?"

I paused from my tracks and faced Xenon who was right behind me. He looked thinner the last time I saw him when it was just a week that has passed when I was bounded at the oubliette. Father's errands must be taking a toll on him.

Like me, he had a list of deaths under his name. I was not naïve not to guess what he did when he was away from my quarter's door. As Father's trusted knight, Xenon had to kill upon his orders.

"What is so urgent, Xenon?"

I was stumped why Father called me on this very day of Mother's death anniversary. He never once did that. I kept on wondering what made him act out of the ordinary but I could not come up with a definite answer.

"I apologize but I had no idea, too, Princess. His majesty simply ordered me to fetch you," he replied. "We should make haste and not let him wait longer, Princess."

Letting out a deep breath, I nodded and we continued our way to the Throne Room.

***

The moment Father came into view, trepidation rushed inside me. The repulsive smile that was unceasingly glued on his face in front of strangers was nowhere to be seen as his eyes narrowed at the person kneeling steps away from the raised platform.

The man wore tailored white clothes with embroidered golden lace on his coat framing the frozen icicles that were pierced by a golden sword at the center with an intricate banner below with tiny sown letters. It was the royal crest of Deliora.

I braced myself and walked to my assigned throne as Father signaled the man.

"Now, speak."

He didn't even bother hiding the animosity in his voice. If the guest was not a delegate of Deliora, there was no doubt his head would already be rolling on the floor from the unannounced visit during this important day. 

However, by the looks of it, it would probably be me who would endure his ire.

"I beg for forgiveness again for coming at the wrong time, your majesty. It is a custom for Deliora to send an invite five days prior to this event. I am fully aware that it is Queen Janessa's anniversary and I offer my apologies once again that I had to interrupt this solemn celebration with this matter o---"

"Say it directly."

The envoy may appear confident but his eyes faltered when Father cut off his words. He cleared his throat before speaking.

"Princess Carline is selected to be Bride Candidate for the King of Deliora," he announced.

He was answered by long filled silence. I glanced around and not a single person, from the knights to Gerald and Xenon, and even Father had a change of expression from the sudden declaration except for me staring wide-eyed at the man.