33. A Liar

SKERPLA DAY OF FRIGG

My eyes fluttered with alarm as the door banged open without any warning.

"Goodness gracious, Ace! Do I need to remind you countless times not to be reckless? Do you know how distressed I was when I learned that you were in Tetrae Lands?"

Wait. I was back in Deliora?

The room was undeniably the guest chamber I was staying at. I remembered exhaustion washing as we journeyed to Helia. I didn't even remember dozing off but now here I was in my bed. 

Reichen most likely had contacted Sullien and now he had told Cindra who had barged her way in with her arms crossed in front of me.

"You haven't even mentioned that you already know about the Crusaders. I was taken aback when my son informed me you've gone missing and with that brat to top it off."

"I'm sorry for worrying you, Cindra."

Those were only the words I could say with my thoughts muddled from the current situation.

"Do you plan on joining them?"

"I don't think so. I cannot go out at a moment's notice."

"True. So what really transpired?"

"Reichen said we were caught in an enchantment. We met some travelers and were able to return here."

"Hm. That might be. What else? Did he do something to you? Reichen is quite crass if I must say."

"Nothing. I just slept the whole time so I genuinely don't know."

"Just? My gracious Carline! Did you sleep defenseless with a man and a group of strangers? Have you not recalled all my teachings that a lady should not be alone with a man in the evening?" Her voice was raising a pitch higher and higher.

"It's not like I have a choice since we were the only ones separated. Besides nothing literally arose," I reasoned out.

After that attempt at small talk, all conversation ceased. He was injured and I was tired then lulled to sleep. In retrospect, it was weird I slept like a log when I was usually sensitive to my surroundings. 

Still, since I was able to return, surely nothing atypical had ensued. Right?

Cindra reprimanded me nonstop until there were heavy stamps outside.

"Don't forget what I said. You shouldn't be too careless. You are still a lady, a royalty to add so propriety must still be observed, understand?"

"Yes, yes. I will not take a single step alone with a man starting today," I swore halfheartedly.

"Good, see you, dear." She pulled me into an embrace and left with her portal.

***

I was in the middle of getting ready for this morning's event when I was called, saying I had a visitor. I pondered who it was along the way and was bemused seeing Willow sitting comfortably on the couch.

"Willow, how did you even come here?" I asked, stepping inside the drawing-room.

Other royalties could not attend the Selection unless they were relatives of the candidate. Moreover, no family members usually come to this event.

"It's not official but I'm your future sister-in-law so of course, they let me in. I was very anxious last night. I could not meet you since Sullien can only transport up to two people and Reichen wanted you to be sent back here right away."