02. Magic of Disguise

• इन्हें समर्पित: Dceramoje

Calmness gradually enveloped my body as I treaded through the garden. Without Father's order, I was never allowed to leave the West Wing. However, once I received his permission, I could venture throughout the palace.

Yet in reality, there were only five places I could step into. Fortunately, it included the Palace Garden.

I arrived at the west side of the garden which actually faced my bed-chamber. There was an arched door directly adjacent to my balcony but the abundant bushes hid everything inside from view, even from above.

The wooden door, framed by overgrown vines, was wide enough for a single person to pass through. Everyone in the castle knew about this door but nobody could set foot inside. The door led to Mother's favorite garden where she tended the flowers personally.

But once she died, not a single person could unlock the door ever again.

Not even the strongest knight nor the sharpest sword could break it — until that night two years ago.

Only fifteen and driven to the corner, I followed Night in this very same place. I still remembered how shocked I was when we were able to enter.

I glanced around and after sensing no one, I pushed the door. It creaked open and the familiar fragrance welcomed me. The scent of various flowers mixed in together created a floral mix that always manage to soothe my nerves.

It was as calming as Mother's presence, making me reminisce about the time we spent our afternoons here. She loved her lavenders but always gazed at them solemnly. Among the surrounding purple perennial flowers, at the center was a pavilion made of wrought iron and gilded into perfection. It was certainly conspicuous, particularly the distinct yellow roses that encircled it.

No matter how beautiful it was, all that came to mind was a birdcage.

"Cindra," I called, noticing the brown-haired woman sitting at the lounge chair. Her hair strands, tied in a neat updo, were so light that they appeared like dark blonde from afar.

Though if someone ever saw her here, no one would believe their eyes. Considering the fact that the Duchess from Helia kingdom should not be inside the premises of the palace of Ezriel, leisurely having tea.

"Ace, dear, how are you?" she greeted, gesturing for me to sit.

Only Cindra and Night called me by that name. A name I was bestowed that changed my life.

"The same as usual. I apologize I could only come now."

She left me a message almost a week ago when I checked my secret hideout. However, escaping these days had been difficult. I did not anticipate that could meet each other today.

Sitting opposite her, my lips quirked. "Do you have any news?"

"Of course." She graciously sipped her tea. No one could deny that she aged well. The fine lines in her face made her features more defined, causing her violet irises to be more vibrant than it really was.

If I was still naive, I would've believed were relatives, but no. Cindra was my godmother, so she said. She and Mother treated each other like sisters and this was the place they always met. I would have questioned it if she did not reveal she was behind the mystery of the door.

Blessed by the magic of portals, no door could block Cindra. She had the ability to change the destination of any door whenever she wanted.

"Do you know Marquis Fedor?"

I nodded. Before I met them, I had no idea about other nobles or anything outside this palace. I had craved knowledge but I was deprived of even going to our own library. Father said I had no need of it since I was a woman but I knew it was utter bullshit. He wanted me to be useless so that I could not leave the castle and survive.

Princess Thief [✔]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें