Chapter 45

Not long after you had reached the lifeboat with the kid on your back, you arrived at the meeting point. The kid who had swum and fought with you, stuck to you the whole time and even insisted to share the blanket with you. She had fallen asleep now, her head leaned against your shoulder, while you softly talked with Erin. But your small talk was interrupted by the appearance of a ship, with a well-known flag. "The revolutionaries!" Erin yelled, his hand going to the absent handle of his sword. "Easy!" You said, while pulling him down. "You know I work for them!" "That's... new." He said. "when you took me in, I had to call my boss, remember? And I called Dragon-san, so if you put one and one together..." You said patiently. He finally nodded. "How did you even survive until this day?" You imitated his question from before. He just turned indignant red.

You left Erin at the shore, where he had to wait for you. The girl, whose name was Mirai, had clambered on to your back, as you walked the others towards the ship. "I am sorry that you're a vice-admiral!" You yelled over your shoulder to the pouting Erin. "The boss doesn't like the navy so much!" It was an understatement. You walked onto the gangplank, making sure the kids before and after you didn't fall into the water. You grabbed a small boy by his collar, as another kid accidently pushed him; "Careful, boy." Meanwhile the girl had settled on your shoulders, her hands nestled in your hair. You were glad you had combed it today.

You finally jumped on the deck, making Mirai giggle as she bounced on your shoulders. "One more time!" She begged. You jumped a few times up and down, before noticing the officers watching you. "Koala! Hack! It's so nice to see you!" Koala ran towards you and wrapped her arms around her waist. "It has been years since I last saw you!" You patted the girls head. The moment Koala gave you room to breath again, you walked over to Hack. "Ha!" You yelled, positioning yourself in a Fish Man Karate pose. You attacked, completely by the book, while Hack almost lazily defended himself. "Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!" Every sound underlined an attack. Left, right, above, under...It felt great. He slowly pushed you back. Until...Mirai mixed in and hit him with her small fist in the middle of the head. "Ouch!" He yelled surprised. You held your hand up and the small girl high-fived. "Not bad for your second best student, huh?" You grinned at the Revolutionary Officer. "More like seventh." He murmured. You pouted. "I will act like I didn't hear that." Meanwhile most children had received more blankets, food, and a place to sleep. "Mirai, aren't you tired?" You asked, glancing up at the girl. She shook her head hardly. You were scared it would fall off if she shook it even more. "I am not tired! I want to stay with you!" "But don't you want to go home?" You asked. "I don't have one." You nodded, slowly processing the information. You hadn't eat in a loooong time. "Would you like to go to my home?" You asked her. She looked down, her eyes meeting yours. "Where's that?" She asked curiously. "Baltigo. And these people are going there." You gestured towards the fishman and his assistant. "But I want to stay with you! I want to fight just like you!" Her eyes filled with tears. You sighed. Why felt this like a cliché? "You know, Mirai, I have a lot of missions. So I will leave my home often to do them." The girl nodded, rubbing in her eyes. "Well, I have a mission for you." You said, walking a few steps away from Hack. "I want you to go to Baltigo and ask Dragon-san, the boss, if he likes Avis. A-V-I-S. I will come in a few weeks, and you have to describe me his exact reaction, okay?" The girl's eyes started to shine again. "Until I am back, you're training harder than anyone else." Mirai finally smiled. You grabbed her hand and squeezed it softly. "Promised?" She asked. "Promised." You said with a chuckle.

You were interrupted by Koala, who rasped her throat. "(Y/N), you still have to help us with another problem." She said, pulling out a huge bag. "Morgans keeps sending you letters! Please, free us from this spam! Our mail is overloaded!" Your mouth fell open. "he hasn't given up yet?!?" You asked in disbelief. "Someone really doesn't get the message!" Koala pulled out one. "here, I believe this is marriage proposal #54. Honestly just write him back! We can't bear his cheesiness anymore!" Someone hit not-so-gently your head. You looked up, seeing Mirai's small fist. "Who's Morgans?" She asked. "He's a huge bird that likes (Y/N) here." "Why is that a problem? Who wouldn't like you?" She asked. "That's so sweet, Mirai. Tell him that! He wouldn't never believe that someone actually likes me." You pointed with your thumb towards Erin, who sat on the beach, trying to put on a fire. "He's a baka! You are awesome and he is to stupid to see it!" She yelled and crossed her arms, while puffing her cheeks. You and Koala laughed about her cuteness. "Keep that attitude, Mirai! I love it!"