Chapter 12

Paulie took you to nice motel, not far from the dock, that night. The rooms were cheap and clean, and you were happy with that. Even though you were tired, you stayed awake for a few more hours, not knowing what you were waiting for. You finally fell asleep with your hand under the pillow, where you kept your knife.

As the morning sun shined inside, you woke up to close the curtains. You looked up at the nightstand, seeing a white lily. You were immediately awake. As you caressed the flower softly, a feeling of fear came to you. You didn't know if you were more afraid of the fact that your nightly intruder could come in without you noticing, or the fact that you were still alive.

A few hours later, you walked to the docks, happy to see everyone. Your arm was a bit stiff, but a little bit of work would get that out. "Paulie!" You greeted him. "Where were you? I wanted to pick you up, but the motel said you already left." "Yeah sorry about that. There was just this great bakery a few streets further, and..." "Your stomach decided that it was time to eat, huh?" "Quite. But look, I brought croissants. And because I know you so long, you can have one." "That's...generous." Lulu walked towards you two. "Wow, that's a huge bag of desserts." He tried to take one and you hit his hand away. "No! No one gets one." "You can't eat all those by yourself!" Your bill flew out of your pocket and Paulie grabbed it. "46 croissants! Are you sure they didn't swindle?" "I had breakfast there, so that could be possible." "How many did you eat exactly?" "I lost count by 27." "And you are still hungry!?!" "Yes." "How come you didn't turn into a balloon already?" You were silent for a second. "I will pretend that I didn't hear that." You said, and turned around to your boat. "Paulie! I need some stuff! Could you bring me a tool box?" You asked, while eating another croissant. "If you bring it to me quickly you can get a second croissant." You yelled to make him walk faster. "She is really generous today." Paulie said to his colleague, without sarcasm.

You started to work at your boat, while guarding your food with much care. Around breaktime, you sat on a trunk, Lucci sitting a few meters away. You decided to ignore him, as he seemingly did the same with you. Paulie went away to scold some clumsy starters, as you casted a glance at your silent ex-colleague. You snorted your drink out, as you saw him and Hattori, the pigeon, drink tea. Camomile tea. You tried to suppress your cough, but it only made your cough worse. You sounded like you were suffocating. Lucci looked from the side of his eyes to you, not bothered by your struggle.

Someone wrapped his arms around you from behind and used the Heimlich maneuver. You coughed loudly, stumbling away from the person who tried to safe you. Your ribs hurt. "Thank you for trying to safe me, but it wasn't needed. I just swallowed my water the wrong way." You said panting. And out of all people, your savior was Kaku. Paulie came running to you, seeing the commotion. "Are you alright, (Y/N)?" He asked worried. "I am fine...cough... I swallowed the wrong way." "That happens when you don't chew well." "Water. I swallowed water." He rubbed your head, sheepishly. "You're such a kid sometimes." He said. You got angry. "I am not a kid! I don't need your comments! Go scold your shipwrights some more!" You yelled at him, feeling deeply insulted. He only laughed harder. You sat back down at the trunk, Kaku plumping down, right next to you. "Can I have a croissant? After all I tried to save your life." You looked at the last croissant, thinking about a better way to pay him back. "You can have my jacket, if you want." You said, ready to bargain. "I am way bigger than you. I only want something to eat." He said smiling. It broke your heart, but after a long inner argument, you said: "You can have it." You pouted the whole time, while he ate your dear food.

"So, where have you been everywhere these past years? Paulie always talks about you, but I want to hear the stories from you." Kaku said. You raised an eyebrow. This was literally begging for information. More and more shipwrights came sitting around you, begging for stories. "Is it true you once sand 3 marine ships to the seabed?" Someone asked. "That was more of an accident, but technically, yes." "And did you really fight a Kraken?" "Did you actually steal the panties of a warlord?" You were overpowered by so many questions. Lucci still sat there, seemingly spending no attention. You held up your hands, asking them which story they wanted to hear the most. "The panties-story!!!" They all screamed, like a bunch of kids. You smiled and started telling.