Chapter 23 ~ Until the Very End

Scorpius P.O.V

Watching Lily, I gently rock my daughter, who we had moved into Lily's hospital room so we could watch them both at the same time. Since she's been in here, she's gotten more affection than a brand new broomstick, with her constantly being held. I've been holding her to myself, afraid to set her down.

"Is that her..? Carina..?" Lily whispers, startling me out of my sleepless haze, "She's okay... you're here!" She yells, and I furrow my brows with concern.

"Lily! Y-yeah, it is. What do you mean, she's okay? Of course, I'm here, why wouldn't I be?"

"I... I had a dream, it doesn't matter," she mutters, and holds her arms out for her, wincing slightly at the sudden movement.

"Well, you're awake now," I reply, smiling gently at her, "Oh Merlin! You're awake! I'm going to have to call your parents!"

"Send my dad a Patronus," she orders, motioning her hands toward Carina, "Now give me my daughter."

After handing Carina to her, I send the Patronus to her parents. "Hey Car-Car," she whispers, holding her tight, "I'm sorry mommy hasn't been able to hold you, but soon we'll bring you home. Grandma and Grandpa will spoil you almost as much as Mommy and Daddy will," Lily whispers softly to her.

Almost immediately after sending the Patronus, Harry and Ginny burst into the room, "Lily! You're awake!" Ginny practically yells, rushing forward to hug her.

"Yeah, I am," she replies, wincing when her mum hugs her, "I love you mom, but that kind of hurts."

"Oh, Lily, I'm so sorry! We should call the healer's, let them know you're awake!"

"It's okay Mum," she smiles, handing her the baby with a scrunched nose, "I think her diaper needs to be changed."

"I'm on it," she scrunches her own face before bringing her over to a table to change her. Harry calls in the Healer, who checks on Lily.

"It looks like she'll be able to go back home tonight. I'm going to give you a pain potion, and you guys can check out. You'll have to come back soon, and we can set up an appointment for that when it comes around to it. Make sure not to move around too much, okay? Take it easy. I'll get your discharge papers to your parents."

Once we had left the hospital and arrived home, I pull Lily close to me and shower her with kisses, cuddles, and relentless apologies. Carina is fast asleep in her nursery, which is decorated with a beautiful princess theme. Harry and I had spent the past few months building up a beautiful play castle for her, with a bed suite for a queen with beautiful sparkling drapes over it. "Lily?" I whisper, yawning.

"Yeah Scorry?"

"I love you."

"I love you too Scorry."

We both fall asleep, but I'm soon awoken by a loud cry from the nursery. Lily's still fast asleep, and I slide out of her grasp, opening the door that connects the two rooms. After changing her diaper, I hold her and giggle as she opens her eyes, looking up at me. I notice that they've turned green, the same shade as Lily's. "You look just like your Mommy," I whisper, kissing her forehead. "Well, not counting your hair." I hold her for a while, pulling her close to me. "You're going to be such an amazing girl." I can't read her thoughts, though I do try to. Maybe it's just because she's a baby. While that seems to be the logical answer, something tells me that's not true. "You're special, aren't you?" I ask her, and she looks up at me, spitting out a couple of bubbles. Laughing quietly, I wipe her mouth and set her back down in her crib.

Walking back into our room, I slide into bed next to Lily and fall asleep, not waking for some time. I'm exhausted from staying awake at the hospital, and can't help but sleep for hours. Eventually, I wake up and take a quick shower before making sure Lily is taken care of and heading off to work.

Lily P.O.V.

Getting out of bed, I wince in pain. Scorp has been at work for a couple of hours now. Carina lets out a small cry, so I go into her nursery where I pick her up and rock her. "It's okay Car-car. Mommy's got you, it's okay baby girl."

I feed her and burp her once she's done. Looking down at the small bundle in my arms, I smile down at her. She's staring up at me with green eyes, that mirror my own, so full of curiosity you'd think she was an adult. "You have my eyes..." I mutter, and I stare down at her with awe, "You're going to have your father's hair." I lean down and kiss her forehead. After a while, she falls asleep and I set her down in her crib, and walk back to my bed, wincing a bit before sitting down and getting comfortable.

After a while, Scorpious comes home and sits down next to me, Carina in his arms. I lay my head on his shoulder and we talk quietly for a while as we watch our baby girl. For the first time in a long time, I can feel that no matter what happens, everything will turn out alright.

"Scorp?" I ask, the tone of my voice light.

"Yes, Lils?" He asks, turning away from Carina to look at me.

"Promise me it'll stay like this. Promise me you'll never leave me. Promise me you'll be here-"

"-Until the very end," he interrupts me, and I look into his stormy gray eyes and smile.

He hands me a small box, his face slightly flushed, "I was planning a dinner, but this seems to be a better time.

Opening the box, I see a beautiful ring, an emerald surrounded by a few diamonds on a silver band. Tied to it is a note, and I unfold it, my vision slightly blurry.

I love you, Lily. Please, be my wife. I will always be here for you, and will always love you. I promise to stay with you, to support you.

"I-of course," I whisper, tears dripping down my face as I take the ring out of the box and slide it on my hand.

With a smile, I kiss him gently. All three of us, as a family. Together.

Opening my mouth, I repeat the four words he had just said to me: "Until the very end."