one

6 days before

KOURTNEY LEWIS

"C'mon ladies, move it!" the coach yelled at us. I followed alongside the other girls on my soccer team. I heard someone mumble profanities up a head of me.

"She needs to get stuffed." A girl with the last name Briggs said. We continued to run the trail and soon got to a large bridge with a strong current below. A cross adorned with flowers, ribbons, and stuffed animals was hung on the wooden rail. As each girl passed they each kissed their fingers and touched the center of the cross, which had a picture of a girl.

"Hey new girl! Pay your respects!"

I huffed, even after a year of being at this high school that was still my nickname. I kissed my fingertips and touched the photo lightly, under it was the name Mallory Evans, carved into the wooden cross.

-

present

-

"Kourt, some of your friends are here!" My mom yelled from downstairs.

"Coming!" I shouted, I pushed a strand of hair out of my face and applied some lip gloss and dabbed some on my cheeks and rubbed it in. I quickly grabbed my denim jacket and put it on. I looked in the mirror, I wore a black sheer leggings, a black high waisted skirt, and a plain white tee. I slipped my lace up boots on and ran downstairs.

"Happy birthday!" Melanie shouted from the door and rushed over to hug me. Leyla had a large bag in her hand and Ema walked in last with her brother, Calum. After my mum greeted everyone, Leyla and Ema each gave me tight hugs.

"Hey," I saw Calum walk over closer to me.

"Hi," I smiled at him, and accepted the hug he offered.

"Happy birthday," he whispered in my ear. His warm breath on my neck gave me goosebumps. I tried to hide the fact that I was blushing as he broke the hug and smiled at me, as the doorbell rang.

"Kourt get the door!" My mum yelled from the kitchen. I heard the doorbell ring again and I went to open it. I was surprised to find Luke, known by the nickname "Rat boy" at our school.

"You came," I smirked. His eyes didn't meet my gaze as I looked at him. He held his bag tight close to his chest. He nodded.

"Do you want me to leave?" He looked up at me.

"Fuck no, if you did I'd be in deep shit." He gave me a small smiled and walked in, when I motioned him in.

"Presents over there, drinks, cheese and pepperoni pizza over there." As he slowly walked into living room, all the conversation seemed to die down.

"Don't steal anything." Ema whispered loud enough for us to hear, Leyla and Melanie laughing at her comment. Luke sat down at on the floor, just a few feet away from the girls and Calum. I sat down next to the girls.

"Here's your gift, from us to you." Leyla handed me a black bag. I grinned, while pulling out a pink scarf that I noticed they were wearing too. At the bottom of the bag was a phone case with a photo of Bea Miller.

"That's obviously from Leyla." I laughed. I looked up to see Luke pull a small box out of his bag and hand it to me. I gladly took it and tore off the wrapping paper. Surrounded by tissue paper was a photo frame that said "Besties" (a/n shoutout to 5secondsofva for story besties ;o). I smiled at Luke, while he had a face of shock and disbelief.

"I'm sorry, my mum picked it out." He blushed and looked down. "It's fine, I like it." I said with full honesty.

__

Not much had happened after we opened my presents. Sevren snuck out of her house to come and Calum left to go crash a party later with his friends.

"This is so fucking boring." Sevren groaned. I rolled my eyes and continued to help Ema put some sort of face mask on Leyla's face. Melanie was currently using my computer to check her Facebook.

"Seriously, Melanie? Your profile picture on Facebook is a pink chick?" Sevren scoffed.

"It's for Easter time!" Melanie said.

"Are we seriously going to sit here all night and not do anything fun? I'm gonna leave if you guys are only going to do a spa night and put chicks on your Facebook's." Sevren stood up from where she was siting and stood by the door way, near Luke.

"Wait no. She's right this is boring as hell." There was a small silence after what I said.

"Why don't we play a game?" Sev suggested.

"What kinda game?" Ema asked.

"It's called triple dog." Sevren said. Luke's eyes widened, Leyla got excited, Melanie started to worry, and Ema rolled her eyes.

"I'm in." I said, not knowing what was in store for tonight.