Chapter 16

Silena's POV

The party was in an hour. I changed into a tie dye shirt and denim shorts I didn't mind getting dirty, wearing my purple bathing suit underneath. Charlie would be here in 45 minutes to pick me up. I skipped the makeup because I was too lazy and I didn't need it at the pool, and I left my hair down, leaving a white hair tie on my wrist. I grabbed a cereal bar from the pantry and packed my bag.

By the time I finished, Charlie was at my door, wearing a blue shirt and red swim shorts. He gave me a soft kiss on my lips.

"Hi, Charlie. Let me grab my bag."

In the car, I got nervous. There was still a faint, jagged line on my chest, where the hellhound had scratched me. What if people made fun of me? Or worse, what if they started asking questions?

"Don't worry Silena," Charlie said, as if reading my thoughts. "I'll be with you."

When we got to the Johnson's huge house, the party had already started. We were let in by some girl walking by, and saw the place was a mess. People making out in corners, loud music screeching, and wet idiots running around in their bathing suits.

"Hey! Well if it isn't Silena and Charles?" Jack Johnson slapped Charlie's back, leading us to the back door. They had a huge lawn, with a beautiful pool. "Enjoy!"

I slipped off my shirt and shorts, leaving them with my bag. Charlie pulled off his shirt, showing off his fine abs. I swear I saw some girls drool. I looked down, seeing the gash on my chest. It suddenly felt... darker and bigger than usual. Some people stared, and a few pointed and murmured.

"Hey, it's okay," Charlie said, pulling me close. He kissed my head, and I jumped into the pool, with him behind me. We played around and scared people fromw underwater for a while, then resurfaced.

"Hey, Charlie, can you get me a drink?" I asked. Charlie nodded, running into the house. I smiled at his back, feeling happy to have such an amazing boy in my life.

"Well, well, if it isn't Silena Stoll? Haven't seen you in school for a while." Jeff Sloan marched up, smirking at my body in the suddenly showy two-piece.

"Go away, Jeff, I'm with Charlie," I spat. I was definitely not in the mood for a fight.

"Why? Didn't he give you this?" Jeffrey stepped closer, outlining my scar with a finger. I shivered before pushing his hand away.

"He would never hurt me," I remarked. Jeff smirked. Where was Charlie?

He did something unexpected next. He put and arm around my bare middle, pullong me in for an unwanted kiss. I could've pushed him away, but I didn't need to.

Charlie was here.

"What the hell do you think you're doing to my girlfriend?" He yelled at a bloody-nosed Jeff. This is what I loved about us. We trusted each other, and he knew I didn't do anything.

"Hey, you shit, I'm just giving her a guy who cares."

"I care." Charlie pulled me closer.

"You gave her the scar. Everyone's saying so."

"That's a lie," I barged in, defending Charlie. "I got it in the woods."

"Sure, Silena. Don't worry though, you'll find out he's not meant for you." Jeff left, returning to his 'group'. He and his jock friends made me sick.

"I would never leave you, Silena. Count on it."