5:04 pm

5:04 pm, September 9th

            This time Daniels knocked only once. Mom dashed over to the door and hastily let him in.
            "So what's the verdict?" Mom asked.
            “Verdict? Mom, we're not in a courtroom,” I stated.

            Mom shushed me, while giving me a death stare.
            Daniels sighed deeply then said, "I'm sorry, but none of your neighbors were home at the time."

“None of them, not even one?” Mom asked.

“No ma’am.”

“Where were they?”

“Apparently there was a conference for all the parents and teachers at the middle school.”

“There was? Are you sure? Riley goes to middle school, and I didn’t get told about this!”

Riley pulled out a paper from his backpack. “I was just about to give this too you.”

It was the reminder for the conference.

“Why are you just giving this to me now?” Mom’s anger turned to Riley.

“I forgot.” Riley’s face became very sad.

“Ma’am?” Daniels cleared his throat, drawing the conversation back to him.

“Sorry,” Mom apologized.
“So what does that mean?" Dad questioned.
"It means that unless Chase's phone does have a bomb in it, I can't open a case."
I pulled out my phone and handed it to him. "Could you redial the number now?"
He groggily took my phone. He seemed tired, like he just wanted to get out of here.
"I guess. Was it your last received call?"
"Yeah."
He found my call log and redialed the restricted caller.
It rang once. Then an operator, "I'm sorry, the number you are trying to reach is no longer in service."
"He called me from that number!" This was irritating.
"Alright, alright, but no evidence. All I can do now is scan your phone at the station. Until I get the results though, I can't do much."
Daniels looked worried. "Unfortunately, these tests take a few days."
 "A few days? I could be dead in 20 some hours!" I yelled. This cop was no help whatsoever.
"I'm sorry, it's the best I can do." Daniels was fidgeting. He wanted to leave.
"You know what, I'll keep my phone and take my chances." I snatched it out of his hands.
"Chase, perhaps it would be better if you didn't have your phone. Then he wouldn't be able to call you." Mom was trying to reason with me.
"He'd just call our house phone, or call Dad's cell! No, I'll keep it thank you. However, what should I do when he calls next?”

Daniels raised his eyebrows. “What makes you so sure he’ll call again?”

“I don’t think he’s going to leave me alone until this is over.”

He nodded. “Well, try and write down what he, I’m assuming they’re a he, correct?”

“I’m not sure. The voice sounds very techno, as if it’s being distorted.”

“Not surprising.” Daniels pulled out his notepad and jotted something down. “Anyway, try and write what they say as accurately as possible. Keep some documentation. Other than that, asking questions to figure out his identity is worth a shot, but highly unlikely that they’ll work.”

“He’s very stubborn. He doesn’t even like it when I talk.”

“Probably because criminals with these types of profiles are highly obsessive with something. Whether it’s the person they’re stalking, an emotion such as power or revenge, or an item such as money, their sole focus is on that one thing. In your case, I’m guessing either emotion, or the person. To early to tell now though.”

“But why would somebody be ‘obsessed’ with me? I’m just a common high school kid! Nothing special!”

Daniels shook his head. “I can’t answer any of that now. Hopefully that’ll become clearer down the road, if this continues. If it doesn’t, then you won’t have to worry.”

Silence.

Daniels coughed. "Well, other than your laptop, which I'll present and see if it's enough for a case, there's nothing I can base anything on yet, as I’ve said. I'll notify you by phone if a case can be opened. Mrs. Mitchels, Mr. Mitchels, Chase." He nodded to all of us, and then left.
"That is the worst cop ever. Seriously, he didn't even TRY to help us." Frustration started to bubble over.
"Chase, there was nothing he could do. All he could base a case on is your word."
"And my laptop and window! Isn't that enough?"
Dad interjected, "He said he'd present it and see if it was sufficient."
I calmed down. Surely my computer would be enough.
Right?