3:47 pm

3:47 pm, September 10th, present year.

 Hunter was taken away, and Terri was wheeled away in an ambulance, with a white sheet covering her face.

            A crowd gathered behind a barrier of caution tape and many were taking pictures, wondering what was going on. A few cops were standing near them, answering questions and making sure peace was enforced.

            “In a day or two, we’ll have to bring you four down to the station for debriefing and questions. We’ll call you when we’re ready.” Myrene was addressing my family and me on the street outside while cops mingled in and out of our home.

            Mom and Dad held Riley and me, and we were all glad to be alive and together. Myrene finished talking and Dad nodded.

            I remembered something. “Ms. Myrene, what’s going to happen to Juliet? Did she really kill somebody?”

            She shook her head. “No, she didn’t. We just wanted to know how she connected to this whole thing. And as for her future, I’m not sure. Probably be put up for a foster home or placed in an orphanage. Hopefully word of her being the daughter of a murderer doesn’t get around.”

            Orphanage? No. “Mom, Dad, can I talk to you?”

            We walked a few feet over, and I said, “This may seem very…odd, but could we adopt Juliet? I think Riley and her would be great friends, and she hated being in an orphanage. If she was put in one again, she would just run away and be wondering the streets again.”

            “But she’s the daughter of a man that tried to kill us!” Mom reasoned.

            “I know that, but just like I didn’t do anything, Hunter still wanted to kill me. Juliet is innocent of anything her evil father committed. She deserves a better life than her dad made for her. Please Mom, at least think about it. Don’t think about what Hunter did, but think about what Juliet could do.”

            Mom and Dad looked at each other. “We’ll consider it. It’s a big commitment.”

            “I know it is. Thanks.”

            We rejoined Myrene and Dad questioned, “How long will they be in our home?”

            “An hour at most. Until then, I suggest you get something to eat. I bet you are all hungry.” Myrene fished in her pocket and pulled out her wallet, handing us some money.

            “Oh no, I couldn’t accept that,” Mom said.

            “I insist. After what you have been through, you deserve some relaxation. And now you can truly relax. It’s all over.” Myrene’s face allowed a soft smile.

            “Well, thank you very much Ms. Myrene.” Dad humbly and graciously accepted the money.

            “I’ll have Sophie drive you, and she’ll wait there until you’re done.” Myrene called Sophie over.

            “I think she should join us. She is partially responsible for us being alive now,” Mom offered.

            “Only if you want me too,” Sophie politely answered.

            “Of course we want you too.”

            “Alright then, we’ll get going. Follow me.” Sophie led us to a squad car, and we all climbed in. Mom was in the front, while us boys sat in the back, with me in the middle.

            As we drove towards our undecided destination, Riley rested his head on my shoulder, and said, “The good guys won, didn’t they Chase?”

            I put my head on top of his and said, “Yes, they did Riley.”