9:37 am

9:37 am, September 10th, present year.

    Sophie was still in the kitchen talking on her phone, receiving instructions for the next hours.

            Our family moved into the living room and was currently all seated on the couch, not doing anything. Riley was playing in his room, but the rest of us sat like statues on the sofa.

            After a few moments of silence, Dad turned to me.

            "I know you haven't said a lot about what has occurred so far today, but if you want to say something, now's a good time."

            I shrugged. "There’s nothing really to say. I mean, this whole day has been a nightmare, and it's not gonna get much better, but it's not like I'm going to feel sorry about myself. I'm not scared."

            Mom leaned over and hugged me, with tears in her eyes. "I don't want anything to happen to you."

            "Nothing will." I said, but only to comfort her.

            I couldn't promise anything.

*          *          *

            Terri was in the kitchen, supposedly talking to the chief. At least that's what she told the Mitchels.

            She was actually talking to her son.

            She called his phone, let it ring three times, and then  hung up. Before she went in to address the family, she heard Chase say, "I'm not scared."

            It surprised her. She stopped. He wasn't scared? Even after all that her son had done to him? And he still had this attitude?

            This boy would be harder to break then they first anticipated.

*          *          *

            The figure halted his progress when he heard his cell phone ring. He didn't move.

            It rang once.

            Twice.

            Finally, a third time.

            It didn't ring again.

            It was time.

            Time for redemption, revenge, exposing the secrets and revealing his purpose.

            It was time to shatter the lives and of the Mitchels and end the life of Chase Mitchels.

            The figure left the apartment and walked the block to the Mitchels house. When he saw it ahead of him, his nerves tingled and his hand started to quiver.

            He let it.

            He didn't have to hold back anymore.

            It was time.

*          *          *

            The real Sophie Richards arrived at the police station. She jumped out of the car and she ran inside. She ordered the first officer she saw to pay the cab driver. Her frantic state persuaded him to obey.

            Sophie ran down the hall, not bothering to answer the shocked looks on her colleagues faces.

            She burst though the doors of Chief Myrene's office and before her anger could manifest itself, surprise and confusion replaced it.

            "Detective Richards, what happened?"

            "It doesn't matter. Chase's family is in danger!"

*          *          *

            Sophie told us what the Chief said. A break in the case led Detective Hunter to a location where a suspect lived. They would question them and get back to Sophie as soon as possible with the results.

            Well at least they had a suspect. That was good.

            Suddenly there was a noise from outside. The back door.

            Sophie's face contorted into concentration. She placed her pointer finger on her lips, motioning silence. She removed her gun from its holster and cautiously crept towards the back of our house, towards the back door.

            She motioned for us to stay seated, as she disappeared from our view.

            There was a minute of silence, then the clatter of the door being thrown open. Then Sophie’s voice was heard.

            "Hands in the air, NOW!"

            A few unidentifiable sounds.

            A figure came into our view, with its hands in the air, and face covered by a mask.

            Sophie was behind him, both arms extended and holding the gun to his back.

            They stopped a few yards away from us, and Sophie ordered, "Get down on your knees, scum."

            The person obeyed, and their head sagged against their chest.

            "Why did you bring him in our house? That's Unknown, isn't it." mom yelled.

            "Yes it is."

            "Well take him out of here!"

            Sophie looked at us, and her face changed. Gone was the police officer, and in it's place was a murderer.

            She holstered her weapon and stepped back.

            "No." Sophie said.

            The figure stood up, and stood next to Sophie.

            Uh oh.