7:14 am

7:14 am, September 10th, present year.

               The sun was just beginning to wash its light over the sky. The birds began to chirp and the darkness was replaced with an orange tinted sunlight.

            The “House” episode ended, and I was getting sick of TV. Dad was still reading pleasantly, so I left him sitting there and walked into the kitchen for food.

            I scrounged through the fridge and cabinets searching for what my eyes, and stomach, desired.

            Ah, Pop Tarts.

            As I toasted my breakfast, I started to feel uneasy.

            What if Myrene wanted to contact us? Wait, that didn’t make sense. Why would she tell us to turn off our phones, and then want to call us? I guess Myrene would call Sophie, and then Sophie would tell us. That made sense.

            It still felt weird though, not being able to receive information, or call for help.

            “Dad, do you think we should turn on the phone, just for a minute, to call the Chief? Just to make sure there isn’t anything we should know?”

            “That’s why Sophie is here. She’ll tell us anything we need to know.”

            “Are you sure? I mean, not being able to call anybody, or anything?”

            Dad looked at me, “It does seem strange yes, but they’re professionals. I’m sure they have their reasons.”

            A dinging sound emitted by the microwave told me my Pop Tarts were done.

*          *          *

            Terri heard the conversation between Chase and his father. The bug she had planted was working beautifully. She heard everything.

             Father and son were starting to become uneasy, and nervous. That was normal under the circumstances, but as long as they didn’t act on it yet, the plan would be fine.

            It was amazing the amount of trust that civilians have in the authorities, people they’ve never met. If a cop tells you to do something, it’s done without a second thought. Incredible.

            Become a police officer, and you win the trust of everybody.

            However, Chase was getting suspicious. Would they have to push the plan ahead if Chase got to be too much of a bother?

            Terri dismissed the thought. It would all be fine.

            She was actually thinking about the moment when everything would be revealed, and the Mitchels would find out the truth.

            The truth about themselves.

*          *          *

            Officer Sophie Richards sat, unable to move.. She already tested the strength of the ropes despite what her kidnapper had said. Unfortunately, he was right.

            She wasn’t escaping.

            She tried to look around to see where they were, however, her captor was smart. He positioned her so she was facing a corner of the room. She could only see where two white walls met each other. There were no clues or indicators as to where she was. There wasn’t even wallpaper to identify this room later by.

            When she attempted to turn her head, she felt a jolt of energy pierce her neck. Until that moment, she was unaware of the loose collar on her neck. She could only guess it was movement sensitive, and therefore prevented her from looking around her.

            But that was before. She was desperate for a way of escape.

            She heard the man leave the room a few minutes ago. As far as she knew, she was alone. And now was her chance. If she could fight through the quick shot of pain when she tipped her backwards, then she could get the knife that she kept in her boot. The man took her gun and obvious weapons, but had forgotten to pat her down. That might save her life.

            She inhaled deeply once, twice, then with her feet pushed against the wall and her chair fell backwards.

            A short scream escaped her mouth, but after a few seconds, the pain mostly passed. She stuck her right leg in the air, and the knife tumbled out, landing next to her. Her hands were tied together behind her. She squirmed and wiggled until her hand had grasped the knife. Carefully, but quickly, she the blade out.

            She hurriedly started sawing at the ropes, and she could feel them start to give way and loosen. Just a little more.

            FREE! Untied!

            She pulled her arms from underneath and released the collar, letting it fall to the ground. Soon her feet were free and she stood up, looking around her.

            She was in a standard hotel room. Two double beds, a TV, a small table with two chairs and a bathroom. Her chair sat in the back right corner.

            Both beds looked like nobody slept in them, and there were no suitcases or clothing of any kind in sight. There was no evidence of anybody staying here.

            Sophie walked into the bathroom, and saw only tooth paste and a toothbrush. The brush was still wet from the last use, but why would he have his toothbrush here, and nothing else? Maybe he was a neat freak.

            She left the bathroom and went back to the beds. She ran her hands over them, feeling for anything the man may have left behind. Hopefully even a weapon.

            There was a noise at the door. A handle jiggled.

            She was struck with fear. The handle turned, and the hotel room door swung inward.