4:41 am

4:41 am, September 10th, present year.

                   We arrived safely, for once, back home. Mom was waiting for us when we walked in.

            "What’s happening?" Mom looked tired, stressed, and worried.

            Dad shrugged. "Other than what I told you on the phone, not much. A new female detective will be drive by our house hourly to see if there is anything strange. But as for us right now, sleep is probably the best option. It has been a stressful, nerve racking day. Anything to calm us down would probably help."

            I dared not sleep. Three times a charm didn't apply in my situation. Twice was bad enough. I had no desire to see how else I could die. No, sleep was not my best option.

            "Mom, Dad, I do not want to go to sleep." I told them both of my dreams. Dad knew of my second one, but Mom was clueless to both. Mom was surprisingly calm when I was finished.

            "You know what, it could be a side effect from whatever was in the granola bar that knocked you out. It probably hasn't worn off yet."

            "That's true." I agreed.

            "Well, if you're not going to go to bed, then we won't."

            "Are you sure, I mean, you can if you want."

            Dad looked at Mom. "Honey, why don't you go? I'll stay down here with Chase."

            She hesitated. "Chase, are you okay with that? I can stay up if you like."

            "No Mom, Dad’s right. Go to bed. It'll be light in a few hours anyway."

            "Alright. But if you are getting tired Drew," she addressed Dad, "then wake me up and we'll switch."

            "I will Steph," he replied to Mom.

            Mom walked up the stairs and I soon heard her room door close.

            I smiled at Dad. "You’re not going to wake her up, are you?"

            He grinned back. "Nope."

*          *          *

            Terri Johnson saw her assignment. The assignment was driving down the street, the only car within sight. Terri waited in her own vehicle, hidden in the shadows of a dark alley. Terri was stalking her assignment.

            The assignment’s car whizzed by, and Terri pulled the car out behind it. Terri sped the car up until her car was tailing the assignments car. Just as the assignment’s car went through an intersection, a tow truck flew in front of the assignment’s compact car, halting the progress instantly. At the same, Terri hit the brakes, and gently tapped into the bumper of the assignment’s car.

            The assignment was trapped.

            Terri stepped out of the driver’s side, and approached the driver’s window of the assignment’s car.

            The door opened and out stepped the assignment. She was the same height as Terri, about 5 foot 6. Terri had a few years on the assignment, but it didn't matter.

            "What are you doing? Nobody is out this late! Explain yourself!"

            Terri remained calm. "What are you doing out this late?"

            The assignment was flustered. "I'm a cop, it's my job! Now what are YOU doing here, ruining my car?"

            "Doing my job," was the steady answer from Terri.

            And the Terri punched the assignment in the jaw.

            The assignment fell on the ground, gripping her mouth. The assignment reached for her gun, but as she did, the concrete millimeters from her hand exploded in shards.

            "I wouldn't do that if I were you," warned a raspy voice directly behind the assignment.

            It was the figure.

            "I didn't even hear you step out of the truck," said Terri.

            The figure dared a quick smile. "I'm silent."

            Then the figure swiftly hit the assignment on the head with the butt of his Glock 17 9mm, knocking her out.

            "Swap clothes with her, and continue with the plan. Keep your cell phone on. I'll take her back as soon as you have her clothes."

            Terri dragged the assignment away from the figure and towards some privacy. Terri replaced the assignment’s cop uniform with her own street clothes and soon Terri was suited like a civilized officer.

            Terri pulled the assignment back to the figure, and together they lifted the assignment into the passenger seat of the figures truck. Then, together Terri and the figure hooked the crashed cop car onto the hook on the back of the tow truck. Once that was done, the figure re-entered the driver’s seat and drove away, a cop car dragging behind and a female cop in the passenger seat.

            Terri didn't waste any time. She climbed into her original vehicle and drove towards the home of Drew, Stephanie, Chase, and Riley Mitchels.

            Terri was now masquerading as recently promoted Detective Sophie Richards.

*          *          *

            Dad and I were doing something to pass the time and distract our thoughts. We were playing our favorite card game, Uno. We always played a 5 game series each week, and we decided there was no better time then now.

            In the middle of one of our games, there was a light knock on the door.

            “Hello? Are the Mitchels home? It’s Sophie Richards from the Prackersburg Police Department.”

            Dad left his cards facedown on the table and walked over to the door, opening it.

            “Yes, hello. I thought Chief Myrene just said you would be driving by, not actually stopping in.”

            Sophie smiled. “She called me just a few minutes ago. Apparently there has been some new development in your case, and she told me to stay by your house instead of just checking up on you. So now, I’ll be sitting in my parked car a block away from your house. Here’s my number, and if you need anything call me.”

            Dad accepted her number and said, “Okay, but if there is a new development in my family’s case, shouldn’t I know about it?”

            “The information hasn’t been confirmed yet, but once it is, I assure you, we will let you know.”

            Dad nodded. “Alright, well, thank you.”

            Sophie left, and Dad closed the door.

            “She looked oddly familiar,” I thought out loud.