3:00 pm

3:00 pm, September 10th, present year.

 Myrene radioed to Matthews. “Wayne, the 24 hours for Chase expires in 15 minutes. I want you here now. I don’t care what he does, bring your squad and be prepared to take the house immediately.”

            “Affirmative. What type of force are we allowed?”

            She didn’t hesitate. “Whatever is necessary to keep the Mitchels safe. Lethal force is permitted.”

            “Yes ma’am.”

            Myrene was getting nervous. She had no doubt that Hunter would go through with his threat. She just hoped she didn’t wait too long to take action.

*          *          *

            “What? Why all of us? It was only going to be me!” I said.

            “Plans have obviously changed,” Hunter snarled at me.

            “Damian, come here,” Terri’s voice was calm.

            Hunter joined Terri at the table, and they talked in hushed tones.

            No more than a minute passed when Hunter suddenly stood up, knocking the chair backwards on the ground.

            Hunter started laughing. Not a pleasant laugh, but a malicious chuckle. He stuck his pointer finger at Terri and said, “She’s scared. She doesn’t want me to kill all of you! I wonder why.” Then he glanced at Terri, “Would you like to join them over there?”

            “No! Of course not! It’s just that the more people we have to kill, the longer we’re going to be here. And also, it’s not part of your original plan! Do you really want to stray from it?”

            “Forget the plan. This is the plan now, whether you like it or not.”

            I stole a glance at the clock on the wall behind me.

            3:08.

*          *          *

            Terri didn’t like the personality of her son. This wasn’t like him, making hasty decisions and turning his back on the carefully mapped out plan. It just wasn’t right.

            She didn’t like it. Not at all.

            But she wouldn’t get in his way. She wanted her ex-husband to pay, and if killing Chase was the solution, she was fine with that. Killing others wasn’t part of the original arrangement, but unless she wanted to get killed also, she would stay out of Damian’s way.

*          *          *

            “Chief Myrene, I have ordered my men to surround the house and be on high alert for any signal. It will take a few minutes until they are in position, but once they are, I estimate that 30 seconds, tops, until the house is secure.” Matthews stood next to the Chief.