1:42 pm

1:42 pm, September 10th, present year.

"Did you see anybody or anything when Chase was put on your bench?" Myrene asked Juliet.

"Nope. I was somewhere else."

Sophie jotted it down on a notepad.

"What did you-" the next question was interrupted by the sound of a door opening.

Each cop was suddenly on high alert, eyes and attention unwaveringly fixed on the movement.

It was Terri with Riley again.

Terri spoke, "What's going on out there? I see new faces and now a little girl? What's the meaning?"

Myrene didn't bother with the megaphone for her reply. "Just questioning a witness, nothing more. Why? You know her?"

"No, I’m just curious to your sudden interest in children."

"I think you do know who she is. Why don't you tell us?"

"I’m telling you, I don't know her. Just make sure you don't try and come in here." Terri yanked Riley back inside and the door was closed.

But Myrene knew better. If neither Terri or her accomplice had known who Juliet was, they wouldn't have bothered to ask about her.

She might have just found Juliet's family.

*          *          *

“You’ve still got an hour and a half. What are you going to do in the mean time? You’ve spilled your awful and glorious plan, and to be honest, I think you didn’t plan something right. I mean, if you could’ve timed it so that right now was 3:15, then that would’ve been perfect. But seems like you messed up.” I gave up on being scared. I accepted the fact that I might be dying today, but at least I wouldn’t be fearful anymore.

“It seems like you want to be killed early.” Hunter glared at me with steady eyes.

“Just thinking out loud,” was my reply.

“Well, lets just say that some events were suddenly…out of our control.”

“Like Sophie Richards escaping?”

Shock caressed over his face. “How did you know about that?”

“I figured it out. I mean, Terri here obviously switched places with Sophie, and I don’t think you would’ve killed her. You had to keep her alive so when the Chief called to check up, you could just force her to answer. Pretty simple. The only thing that could’ve pushed your time table forward would be police getting a hint on what you were doing. And since Sophie’s the only cop that knew, she obviously told them. And the only way that could happen is if she was no longer in your control, thus she escaped. Too bad you couldn’t catch her. Would’ve kept your timing right.

“Oh, and I see her standing right there.” I pointed out the kitchen window, where I could see the squad cars and officers, one of them being Sophie Richards.

“You know, you have a quick mind. If I wasn’t going to kill you, you would’ve been just like me, a great intellect with a mind for solving problems. You could be a great criminal.” A glimmer entered Hunter’s eyes.

*          *          *

Myrene’s phone buzzed in her pocket.

“Hello?”

A familiar male voice responded, “This is Wayne Matthews, head of the S.W.A.T. team that was deployed. We’re a few minutes out, and I need instructions on arriving.”

“They’ve got eyes on us, and I definitely don’t want them seeing you. So, park a block away, and only you come. A few minutes later, send someone else, and with the smoke grenade. That might be our only option now.”

“I’m assuming you’ve scoped out the area for snipers?”

“Yes, and unless you get permission to use someone’s house, there isn’t anywhere.”

“Affirmative. We’ll arrive in a few minutes.”

“See you then.”

Myrene was skeptic that anything other than a miracle could save the Mitchels right now.

*          *          *

            Terri stood up at looked out the window intensely.

            “Damian, someone else just arrived. I can’t tell who they are, but it’s a man, and he’s talking to the Chief.”

            Hunter once again approached the window, and immediately recognized the man.

            “That’s Wayne Matthews! He’s one of the commanders for the S.W.A.T. team. Kristen must’ve called them. Can’t they take a hint?” He was getting annoyed.

            “What should we do? They obviously aren’t taking our threats too well.”

            Hunter pondered for a moment, and then said, “They don’t know who I am yet. Maybe that’ll scare ‘em more.”

            He went for Riley, but then stopped. He paused, then turned and pointed his gun at me, commanding “Get up. I’m taking you. You’re a bigger target, less chance of them taking a shot at me.”

            “No.”

            “What?” He was furious.

            “I’m not going. I’m staying right here.”

            “I will kill you now if I have too. I’m totally fine with ending this early.”

            “I don’t believe you.”

            He walked towards me until he was directly in front of me. He held the gun down at this side, next to this leg, with the muzzle facing the floor.

            “You don’t?”

            Then he suddenly yanked his arm up and fired.