Chapter 15

Two Weeks Later

It took me just a few days to reach London, and I knew that I had been dodging warriors, guards and watchers the whole way. I knew that Dean felt it the second I passed my position as Captain to Rivers, and I knew that he would be trying to figure out why I did. Lilly was broken and it killed me to see her that way. When Jubal rejected us, I thought she would crumble, but she stayed strong. Especially during the six years of pain and agony we endured. I hated Dell for breaking her spirit.

The councilmen wanted to let the king know that I was alive and safe, but I convinced them that I would go and see him once my training as an assassin was complete. They agreed that my decision was sound and they dropped the matter. Well, all but one dropped it. Dean’s first cousin, who I didn’t know, called and informed Dean that I was beginning my training with the Council. So that’s how he came to be, during my first week of training, walking through the commons towards me looking mad enough to spit nails.

Within seconds the grounds were cleared of everyone but the two of us. Snapping to attention, I keep my eyes glued on the ground. But I couldn’t help but sneak a look from under my eyelids. Dean looked like crap. He had black bags under his eyes and I could tell that he hadn’t slept in the two weeks that I’d been gone. But what hit me the most was the look in his eyes: disappointment and hurt.

Dean stopped right in front of me and I stayed silent waiting for him to speak. “Two weeks ago, I lost my best friend.” He starts while his eyes scan the tree line behind me. “I was trying to convince her father that while I knew he wanted to catch up on the years he and his wife missed with her, her place was now with me as my friend and Captain. Suddenly, I feel a shift in the pack and I have a new Captain of warriors. Feeling confused, I listen in on her thoughts but to my surprise, I hear nothing. Usually she or her wolf would be chatting like magpies about anything and everything. So I went looking for her. Instead, I found a rather bewildered looking Rivers pacing in his new office. He told me that something was off with her; that she seemed resigned and hurt.

“I found a note from her in my office telling me that it was time she moved on and that she wouldn’t be coming back. We looked for her for a week, but it wasn’t until I received a call from a very close cousin of mine that we found her.” He stopped talking and I felt his eyes on me. Dean took a step closer and lowered his voice. “We’re friends Tami. Why didn’t you come to me if you were going through something? I would have loved to help you, you know that.”

“I know that Sir, and I know that I should have at least told you why I decided to leave. But that would have caused a strain on your relationship with another of your friends, and I didn’t want that. The two of you have been close friends since diapers. I didn’t want to come between that.

“Did you know that if second mates found each other and then one of them decided to go back to their true mate, the other wouldn’t die? And if they had marked each other, when their true mate marked them, their mark would slowly burn off from its spot on the neck of their second mate. I refuse to make Gamma Cooper chose between his first mate and me. He would and did choose Belle.” Dean sighed and gazed sadly at me.

“Tami, there’s something you should know about Dell and Belle. The human that she believed to be the father of her child, isn’t the father. Nor is he human. In fact, he’s a very powerful warlock. He saw Belle one day in town and he wanted her. So, he placed a spell on her but he didn’t know that she was already carrying Dell’s pup. The spell made Belle believe that the pup belonged to him, so she rejected Dell to be with who she thought was the father.

“It was going swell for the guy until the day before you took off. Belle said he came home drunk and told her everything. He even told her how to reverse the spell he had thrown on her. Belle managed to reverse it and she made a beeline for Dell. I guess you know the rest of the story. Tami, I’m sorry for everything you’ve gone through. We’re looking for the warlock now, but so far he’s managed to elude even our watchers. I know that it doesn’t change what you’re feeling, but again, I’m truly sorry about everything.” Nodding once, I look behind Dean and I see Rivers.

A ghost of a smile flutters across my face. “How’s Rivers working out as Captain?” I asked softly. Dean just shrugs. “You were right Tami. He does have what it takes. On the way here he told me that if you come back with us, and want the job back, he’ll gladly hand it back to you.” I shake my head no slowly. “Thanks but no thanks Sir. I’m not sure if I’m leaving here at all.”

“Tamar, please, I’m asking you to talk to me, to tell me what you’re thinking, what you’re feeling.”

“You want the truth Dean? The truth is the moment Dell took Belle back and didn’t even have the guts to tell me to my face, I stopped feeling anything. Not only did he manage to completely break my already fragile heart, he broke my wolf. And for that, I loathe him. The trainers here have taken to calling me Blizzard because I show no emotion what so ever. I even heard on say that next to Ghost, I’ll be the best assassin they have.”

“Tami, I want you to come back with me. I need you to come back. I miss having you there.” I could hear the truth in his voice and see it in his eyes, but with a heavy heart I said no. “Right now Dean, I don’t think that I could handle seeing Cooper with another. It would be Jubal all over again.” When he nods, I know that he understands what I was trying to say. “Just know that whenever you decide to come back home, the door’s open for you.” He smiles and turns to leave.

“Wait a second Dean. I know that you tend to stay pretty busy with your kingly duties, but if you’re ever back in this part of town, I’d be glad to see you again.”

“Next time I’m in London, I’ll swing by and come visit you Tami.” He hugs me and walks back to his car. Keeping my expression neutral, I turn around to find that most of the wolves were back on the field. Making my way to my trainer, I step into the ring. Loosening my muscles, I lock eyes with him. “Alright Tinker Bell, let’s dance.” I say calmly as he threw the first punch. Let the games begin.