A.E. Part 3

We stayed for a week; one long week with me hiding away as I tried to keep everything hidden. The feelings that I had for Dean just seemed to keep growing, but I know that it would be impossible. He had a mate out there waiting on him, a woman who was perfect for him and would help govern by his side fairly.

    When Dean finally passed the word that we were heading back home, I was just about to go crazy. I decided that what I really needed was a long, hard, workout and then a heavy workload to keep my mind busy with something else.Once we were on the plane, I sat with Rivers, ignoring the glances from Dell and Dean when I didn't take my seat between them. The flight back seemed longer than it had just a week ago. 

  I lost count of how many times during the flight that my eyes started to look towards Dean. I would force them away or close them, hoping for sleep that I knew wouldn't come. Once in a while, Dean's voice would reach me, soothing my nerves. And it only severed to strengthen my resolve to get my mind off of him.

   It was late that night when we touched down, and I waited until Dean and Dell had entered the first car that had been ready for us. I sat up front in the second car with Rivers, listening to him talk about something that he wanted to do for his mate for her upcoming birthday. When Rivers finally reached the castle, Dean and Dell were waiting for us. Sighing under my breath, I quickly leave the car, smiling.

   "Dell told me some of what Jubal said to you. Are you really leaving my service, Tami?" Glaring at Dell, I shake my head no. "Only death can take me from your service, Sir."

  "That's good. I'd hate to lose you, Tami." I smiled at him, but it didn't reach my eyes. Faking a yawn, I grabbed my bags, said goodnight and hurried up to my room. Tomorrow was the start of a new day, and I knew I would need my rest for what I had planned. For three weeks, I managed to avoid both of my best friends. My body was getting to the verge of exhaustion, but I kept pushing it harder. Lilly had grown more silent and I knew that she had heard my thoughts about just letting our second mate be. I knew it pained her, but what choice did we have anyway. 

  I had the warriors on the field at 5 in the morning, and we didn't walk off them until 10 that night. I pushed them hard every day but they didn't complain. I knew that if Dean saw me in this state, he would flip. But lucky for me, he had been so swamped with business that I didn't get to see him. I'd see him during the weekly pack meetings, but I would stand in the back of the room hidden from sight.Turning aroundto go for a run, I almost run into Rivers. "Captain." He says nodding at me."Rivers, what can I do for you?"

  "Ma'am..." I cut him off nodding for him to fall in step with me. "When it's just us Rivers,call me Tami."

  "Yes ma'am, I mean Tami." Laughing, I step onto the track and pick up my pace to where I'm jogging. "Now, what can I do for you Rivers?" 

  "I'm worried about you Tami. I know the others haven't really noticed yet that you've beenpushing yourself five times harder than you push them, but I have." I didn'tsay anything, but I noticed that we were running now. Rivers couldn't run andtalk that well at the same time so he linked with me while keeping pace. I don't know what's going on in your personal life, that's none of my business. But you need to slow down, or you'll find yourself in an early grave. That would be a major loss, not only for the warriors, but for Dean and our entire pack. 

  I'll make no promises Rivers. Right now, the only thing keeping me sane is training. We finish the five-mile run in silence. But as I threw him a water bottle, I spoke. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell the alpha about any of this."

  "I won't Tami Iswear; unless he orders me too." I nod understanding. "You got two days of no training Rivers; I suggest you head on home and start your plans. I'll see you on Friday."

   "Aye, aye captain." He gives me a mock salute and walks towards his house. Shaking my head, I could feel the weariness seeping into my body. Taking my time to walk back to the house I knew that Rivers was right. Even werewolves had limits that our abilities couldn't fix. 

  Slowly walking into house, I stop by Dean's office door, my hand inches away from knocking on the hardwood. Letting my hand drop, I shuffle to my office, too tired to even attempt to climb the stairs. My shoes had just been kicked off when a knock sounded and I looked toward my door. "It's open," Icall out softly, mindful of those asleep. The door quickly opens and a tired Dean steps into my office. The moment my eyes landed on him, all the feelings that I had worked so hard to bury, rushed back to the surface ten times stronger. I kept quiet,waiting for him to speak. Dean walked towards my fireplace and sank into a chair. He sighed softly as his head leaned back. 

  "Things have been pretty crazy." His voice was so soft that I almost missed it. "I've missed seeing you around the castle, and especially at the pack meetings." My eyes grew large. Chewing myself out for even thinking that he wouldn't notice that I hadn't been standing in my normal spot, I found myself speechless. "Where have you been lately Tami? I hardly ever see you anymore."

  "I've added several segments of my father's training in with the warrior's regular training. It'll make them stronger and able to last even longer on a battle field." Dean chuckled a little. "Are you expecting a war that I don't know about?" I shrug knowing that he couldn't see me. "It's my job to always be prepared. I take it very seriously."

  "You've always been a worrier. You need to loosen up a little, have fun every now and then, girl." I wanted to laugh but couldn't find the energy to."I'll have fun one day, but not now Dean. There's too much work to be done now." Standing up slowly, I walk over to where he was and sit in the other chair. Every fiber in my body was tired, and my eyes were closing slowly against my will. Dean's voice sounded farther away as darkness settled over me and I knew nothing else.

  I was running through the woods taking over for one of the guards who were home sick. Stopping at my temporary post, I begin to trot beside the border smelling for rogues. A familiar scent hits my nose causing me to come to a dead stop. Looking around, I come face to face withJubal with Greg and Rivers standing beside him. And at their feet lay Dean.Flattening my eyes, I growl at them, my eyes locking on Rivers. "How could you betray your pack?" 

  "I didn't have a choice Captain."

  "Everyone has a choice Rivers." I say my voice hard and cold. "And right now, I just made a choice to kill you for killing a member of your own pack. But you're lucky; you won't die until I deal with Jubal and Greg." Rivers whine softly, lowering his body closer to the ground. I lunge towards Jubal, my teeth closing around his throat....

  Feeling an arm on my shoulder, I jerk awake and growl. Slowly opening my eyes, I look right into the concerned faces of Dean and Dell. "What's wrong with you Tami? Are you sick?" Dean's voice was soft with concern, as were Dell's eyes. Sitting up, I brush their hands off of me. Rubbing my eyes, I notice that the sun was shining and I smile. "Well good morning to you to Mr.Cranky." I say giggling as I start to slip out of bed. "Good morning!" Dean exclaimed, staring at me."It's 2:30 in the afternoon Tamar! You didn't leave your room yesterday and when I came to check on you, you were growling like you were about to kill someone."

  "I'm fine Dean. And what do you mean I didn't leave my room yesterday? I spent all day yesterday training the warriors."

  "No you didn'tTami. Most of them spent the day at the beach." Looking at him confused, I rub my face. "What's today?" I ask softly. "It's Thursday." 

  "Oh, well I guess I did stay in my room all day yesterday then. When I came back from training, I had a few things to do in my office and I fell asleep. I guess I was a little more tired than I thought." Dell looks at me from over Dean's shoulder. "Why would training make you that tired?"

"I started working in some of my dad's methods of training; it's what he put me through when he was training me. And I was growling like I was killing someone because in my nightmare I was killing someone. Now, if the two of you gentlemen would so kindly step out of my room so I can get dressed, I'd be grateful." Giving them a huge smile, I wait until my door shuts behind them before racing to my closet. Grabbing some clothes, I slip them on and head towards the door thinking of what to eat. But I never reached it. My eyes rolled back as my body fell to the floor. The last thing I heard was Dean's voice yelling at me.