A.E. Part 4

"I'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news Sire, but we're not sure if Captain Hale will pull a full recovery or not."

  "What do you mean; you're not sure she'll come through Doc?"

  "Her body's almost too weak to keep fighting. She's been pushing herself too hard for along period of time; I'd say about three weeks or so. And on top of that, she didn't get enough sleep or food. And I would go as far to say that she's been under a lot of stress lately too." The voices fade and for a while, only the steady beeping of the monitor filled the air. "Hello Alpha, I was just checking on Tami, I mean the Captain. How is she?"

  "She's not doing too well right now... Rivers, do you know if she was having any problems over the last few weeks?" I heard Rivers gulp and I could tell that he was nervous. "I was aware that she was having some sort of personal problem sir,but she never did tell me what it was. I did notice that while she was pushing the rest of us in training to go just a little beyond what we thought we could take, Tami here was pushing herself five times as hard.

  "She wouldn't eat hardly anything and she had us on that field from 5 to 10 every day. During the pack meetings, she had taken to standing in the back of the room and leaving right after you finished. And she seemed to be avoiding the Gamma too sir." I mentally smile, impressed that he had noticed so much but yet I was a little mad because he told Dean. Silence took over again but it didn't last aslong as before. 

  "Tami, why didn't you come to me? I may have been busy with a few treaties and peace agreements, but I would have made time to listen to you."Dean sighs softly and I could almost see him shaking his head at me. The sound of cloth brushing against metal told me that Dean had left the chair. I fought to open my eyes, and very slowly, they responded. 

  The light was blinding, but I could barely make out Dean staring out of the window. The right side of his face, I could plainly see. Suddenly, a flash of pain crossed his face as his hand rubbed his neck where it connected to his shoulder. Worry filled me as I watched the man I had come to love dearly. The sudden opening of my door had me closing my eyes and listening. Dell's voice filled the small room, and I listened to them talking. 

  "When he stayed back to talk to her in the office, I ease dropped. When he asked her to go back with him and lied about leaving his chosen mate and family for her, it took everything I had to stay in that hallway. And when he asked her again and I couldn't hear anything but the beats of their hearts and I thought she was thinking about it, Roman and I almost died." Dell stopped talking and his rich, deep laugh filled the room. "You should have heard her when she ripped him a new one." I had to fight the laughter that bubbled inside of me from coming out. 

  While they were talking, it dawned on me that Lilly was becoming more and more agitated. I could feel her pacing in my mind, anxious to get out. There was a scent in the air that was calling out to me, but before I could dwell on it any longer, the sound of sirens filled the hospital. Rivers rushed in, breathing hard. "Sire, rogues breached the northern borders. We need to get you to the bunker right now."

  "Place a guard in front of Tami's door." Dean barked out as they were ushered from my room.The door was locked and I heard two of my warriors stop outside of my door. I knew that while I was awake, my body was far too weak to try and fight if I managed to leave my room. I heard the sound of my window breaking and the stench of rotten eggs and death wafted through the room. And that's when it hit me; the breach had been a diversion. 

   The rogues wanted me but I couldn't figure out why. I would never work with them, no matter what lie they would try to sell me. My loyalty lay with my alpha, my king and no one else. I would never betray Dean or my pack. And I would die before I gave them the answers they wanted from me. There were seven rouges inmy room; each seemed to have their own job to do. Three stood guard at the doorwhile one gathered up my things and the last three hurriedly unplugged me fromthe i.v. and heart monitor.