Chapter 12

“I’m sorry to be the bringer of bad news Sire, but we’re not sure if Captain Hale will pull a full recovery or not.”

“What do you mean; you’re not sure she’ll come through Doc?”

“Her body’s almost too weak to keep fighting. She’s been pushing herself too hard for a long period of time; I’d say about three weeks or so. And on top of that, she didn’t get enough sleep or food. And I would go as far to say that she’s been under a lot of stress lately too.” The voices fade and for a while, only the steady beeping of the monitor filled the air.

“Hello Alpha, I was just checking on Tami, I mean the Captain. How is she?”

“She’s not doing too well right now… Rivers, do you know if she was having any problems over the last few weeks?” I heard Rivers gulp and I could tell that he was nervous. “I was aware that she was having some sort of personal problem sir, but she never did tell me what it was. I did notice that while she was pushing the rest of us in training to go just a little beyond what we thought we could take, Tami here was pushing herself five times as hard.

“She wouldn’t eat hardly anything and she had us on that field from 5 to 10 every day. During the pack meetings, she had taken to standing in the back of the room and living right after you finished. And she seemed to be avoiding the Gamma too sir.” I mentally smile, impressed that he had noticed so much but yet I was a little mad because he told Dean. Silence took over again but it didn’t last as long as before.

“Tami, why didn’t you come to me? I may have been busy with a few treaties and peace agreements, but I would have made time to listen to you.” Dean sighs softly and I could almost see him shaking his head at me. “Whatever happened between you and Dell isn’t worth this my friend.” I faintly heard a door open and I knew that Dell had just entered my room. “How is she Dean?”

“Not so good right now. What happened between the two of you? And I want the truth!” Dean growls softly at Dell and you could hear the order rolling off his tongue. “The night Alpha Greg threw the bonfire for you; I got a call from Belle. She said that her baby’s father was back in town and she wanted her child to grow up with its biological father. He didn’t know about the child and when he found out, he proposed to her and she said yes.

“So, she calls me while I’m thousands of miles away and rejects me. I got so mad that I broke the picture I had of her and tore it to bits. Then I broke my phone. Tami must have heard the noise because she came to check on me. I was just seconds away from shifting when she wrapped her arms around me. I was shocked when I felt the sparks at her touch. It didn’t help to have Roman yelling at me. She’s my second mate Dean, and I’ve screw it up.

“I told her that we would talk about it when we got back home. But since that night, she’s been avoiding me and I can’t blame her.”

“Tell me truth Dell; are you going to reject her?”

“No way! I would never hurt Tami like that Dean. I love her. She’s good at running, but these past three weeks of not evening knowing if she was in the house or not was torture.”

“Doc said he’s not sure if she’ll pull through of not Dell. He told me that she can’t hear anything while she’s in the coma, but I believe she can, or at least her wolf can. Talk to her man; let her know how you feel. It might give her the edge she needs to wake up.”

“Tami, I’m sorry love. I never meant for you to get the idea that I would reject you. I’d rather die than make you feel that pain again. Please love, please come back to me. Give me a chance to show you how much I love you. Don’t leave me Tamar.”

The darkness that surrounded me seemed to only hold me tighter the harder I fought. I wanted to snap my eyes open and ask Dell’s forgiveness for running and hiding from him. I wanted to jump from my bed and tell him that I had assumed from his actions that he was going to reject us. I wanted to let him know that I loved him. But most of all I wanted Dell to hold me tightly and never let me go.

“Why didn’t you want me to know that the two of you were second mates Dell?”

“I wanted to Dean, really. And I meant to, but when I opened my mouth to tell you, I panicked and so I lied. I knew the second I heard my words that I was an idiot. I knew that to Tami, it would sound like I didn’t want to be her mate, and I knew that she would think I was going to reject her. But that’s far from the truth.

“I was going to speak to her when she came back after she ran, but we were back by the bonfire by then. I started to think that maybe she didn’t want me as a mate, that maybe she was still in love with Jubal. So when she linked with me, I told her that we would talk about it when we got back home. When Jubal stepped out of his car the next morning, I wanted to tear into him so bad for hurting Tami.

“And then, when he stayed back to talk to her in the office, I ease dropped. When he asked her to go back with him and lied about leaving his chosen mate and family for her, it took everything I had to stay in that hallway. And when he asked her again and I couldn’t hear anything but the beats of their hearts and I thought she was thinking about it, Roman and I almost died.” Dell stopped talking and his rich, deep laugh filled the room.

“You should have heard her when she ripped him a new one. It gave me hope that I might be able to let the damage I had done by letting her think I would reject her.”

“Will you make her step down as Captain?”

“No. Not unless we were to have pups. Then I would ask her to for their safety. But being a warrior and fighting is so much of who she is…” He was interrupted Rivers. “Gamma, a call came to the Captain’s office for you.” Dell left my room grumbling. “Alpha, there’s a couple here that would wish to speak to you regarding Captain Hale.”

“Show them in Rivers.”

“Right away sir.” I could hear two people walk into the room and I knew from their scent that it was a male and his mate. “Thank you Sire for seeing us.” The male spoke, his voice sounding so familiar to me. “I’m Thor Hale. And I have some news regarding Tamar.” My dead dad said what?!