Chapter 7

Three Years Later

When I met the Alpha King, he greeted me like a long lost friend. Dell and I got closer as did the King and I. He told me to call him Dean, but I would only do that if it was him, Dell or me alone. If any of the other pack members were present, I would call him Alpha or Sir. And when we were any where formal, I’d call him Sire; and he hated it. The second year I was in his pack, I showed him what I could do. When he found out that he could shift into anything as well, he made me teach the rest of his pack.

By the second year, I had created a new division. I dubbed them the watchers, and the name stuck. Their role was similar to that of the guards, but during any kind of battle, they’d shift into birds to help give us an advantage on the field. It puzzled everyone how we kept winning fights without the use of spies and the like.

My third year in the King’s service went by with hardly anything exciting happening. I’m not complaining, but sometimes, I looked forward to fighting. In my off time, I train the upcoming warriors with Dell since we are still unbeatable. Every now and then both of us will fight. And our fights always end up in a draw, much to the surprise of the newbies.

I’m now two months into my fourth year here, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Even with all the friends I’ve made, at night just before I slip off to sleep, my thoughts will go back to Greg and Jubal. Tonight is the same, except I can’t sleep. I’ve been staring at the ceiling thinking about my ex-mate. Sighing softly, I slip out of my bed and pull on my housecoat. Stepping into my slippers, I make my way to my office. Turning on the computer, I wait for the log in screen to pop up. Quickly typing King’s Men as my password, I pull up the files Dean kept on every alpha under him.

It takes me five minutes to find Jubal’s name. The pointer hesitates above it, and for a split second I wonder if I really want to know the truth. I click on his name before I could stop myself and I watch as his picture appears in front of my eyes. Scanning through the information quickly, my eyes slow down as I come to the family part of the report. “Elder Alpha and Luna Hill still live. Alpha Jubal Hill and chosen mate, Judy Cain Hill, have four children. Their eldest son, Steven, will follow as alpha upon his 21st birthday.”

Scrolling down the page, I stumble upon a picture of the two of them taken just a month ago. Lilly missed him dearly, but she didn’t complain. But I felt her pain, because it was mine as well. Hearing footsteps in the hallway, I quickly exit out of the files and delete my history. Pulling up a game of solitaire, I act like I’ve been playing it for hours. My office door opens and I slowly look up.

Standing in my door way still dressed in what he wore earlier stood the Alpha King. Bowing my head, I wait for him to speak. “What are you doing still up Tami?”

“I couldn’t sleep sir.” He growls softly at me and I jerk my eyes up looking at him. “I told you to call me Dean Tami.” I smile shyly and laugh. “Sorry si…Dean. Old habits are hard to break. Why are you up so late, if I may ask?”

“We’re friends Tami. And I couldn’t sleep as well. I never can sleep where there’s a storm brewing outside.” I nod once and motion for him to come in. He shuts the door behind him as he takes a seat in front of the blazing fire. Turning my computer off, I pick up a blanket and join him. As I sit on the couch, I lay the blanket across my legs. “Anyway, as I was trying to read in my room, I realized that I don’t know much about your history. I know that you don’t like talking about it, but I’ve noticed that you’ve been looking a little sad lately. I’d hate to lose my best warrior and friend.” I smile at him and turn my gaze to the flames.