Chapter 5

Three Months Later

As I hurried out of the house, I wondered what was eating at Greg. I noticed that the two past weeks, something had been bothering him something bad. But he wouldn’t talk about it with me, so I stopped asking. Shifting into my wolf, I take off for a run around the border. My seventh year here in Rollins was almost here and for some reason, both Lilly and I were growing restless. She wanted to move on, but I wasn’t sure.

As I reached my full stride, my mind began to drift. Greg had been avoiding me and it hurt me, though I didn’t let on. Racing past a few guards, I barked softly when they nodded at me. I spent two hours walking the borders, but they were uneventful. Stopping by the lake near my cave, I take several deep swallows of the clear, cold water.

Feeling bored, I decide to see if Greg could hang out with me today. Greg, do you want to go see a movie in town today?

No. He snaps at me. I huff and drop the link. Walking into the cave, I shift and slip into a change of clothes. Lying on the ground staring at the sky, I start talking to my wolf. If we left, where would we go Lilly? I don’t think I could stand to go back and watch our mate with someone else.

We could go to the council and ask to be put in the assassin training or we could ask to become one of the Alpha King’s warriors. Either one would be better than the other choices we have. Sitting up, I chuckle softly. I think we’d do better as a warrior for the King than as a Council Assassin.

So do I Tamar. I think it’s best if we leave today. Jumping to my feet, I quickly make my way to the pack house making sure to avoid everyone. As I made my way past Greg’s office, I freeze when I hear Jubal’s voice. Looking around the door, I see Greg staring out the window and his phone lay on the desk. He must have it on speaker.

“She’ll be here when you come tomorrow, I promise Hill. It’ll be up to her if she’d want to train your warriors or not.”

“She’s my mate Greg; of course she’d want to help her old friends become better fighters.”

“She’s your ex-mate Hill. And she’s not the same girl you once knew when she was part of your pack.” I couldn’t listen anymore. Running up the stairs I rush into my room and pull my bag from under the bed. It only took me exactly twenty minutes to wipe my room clean of any sign that I had been there. Locking my door, I open my window and climb out onto the ledge before pulling it back shut.

The last stop I made before heading to the border was to the cave. I had to make sure it was wiped clean as well. Whispering a goodbye towards the pack house, I jog across the pack’s territory line and felt our connection break. Shifting into a black jaguar, I race through the forest. And my destination was the council pack; just over two hundred miles away in Helena.

It took me almost a week, stopping here and there when I was tired or hungry, to get there. Most of the Alpha King’s warriors and guards were selected by the council members from every state. But there were some who the King himself chose, though it wasn’t often for him to do so. By the time I reached the city limits of Helena, I was back in my wolf form.

As I stepped out of the woods, I was met by four of the toughest guards I’d ever seen in my life. Shifting back behind a tree, I quickly pull on some clothes. “State your business rouge.” Keeping my head bowed as a sign of respect, I answer softly. “I’m here to apply for a position as one of the King’s warriors.” One of them started laughing loudly, and I had to fight my wolf to keep my head bowed.