more café con pan

People always talk about wanting to be in an unattached relationship with someone. Men make it known that women are usually the ones to catch feelings, ultimately ruining the relationship, but honestly? I think we're just sleeping with the wrong kind of man. 

Rocky: Can I come over tonight?

I shifted over to another position on my bed, placing my head deep into my pillow while reading this. It was nearly 10am, and he was already trying to get his time in. I don't blame him though. I typed back quickly.

Me: Mom is coming over today, gonna be with her all day and night. Sorry! 

It was true. I was excited to have my mom visit me but I wasn't as excited for discussing the financial issue with her. Getting a part time job was the safest choice, but can you blame me for wanting to seek an easier way out? 

The doorbell rang inside my apartment, making me jolt up. I locked my phone and tossed it under my pillow before reaching over to the peep hole above my door. It was too high for my small body to reach, luckily I always have a stool nearby. 

I raised my body on top of my tippy toes and saw my mom smiling at me through the tiny hole. My heart immediately felt warm and loved. A mother's face can definitely have that effect on you. 

Placing my hand on the nob, I turned it slightly and opened the door for her to come in. She was holding a box of Krispy Kreme donuts in her arms. 

"Oh, honey!" She tippy toed into the room and placed her cold cheek against mine, giving me a small kiss hello. 

"Hi, mami!" I hugged her while trying not to bump into the donuts in her hands. "You brought my favorite!" 

She rushed over to the counter and placed the box of donuts on the table and gave a big sigh of relief. My mother was wearing a whole lot of layers that weren't quite necessary for the fall weather out there. She always did go a little overboard. 

"Finally. I was sweating in all of this," she admitted while beginning to peel off her extra layers of clothing. 

"Of course you were," I said, chuckling and reaching over to grab her things. I hung up her clothing on the hook behind the front door as she sat down.

My mom looked all around the small studio, placing her small hands on her hips. "I've always loved this apartment. Let's hope the school doesn't take that away from you too." 

I was so close to forgetting that detail. "Well, I hope not ma." 

She began looking through my kitchen, taking out the coffee maker from one of the cabinets. Her face lit up instantly, making her smile. "I hope you waited for me to have your morning coffee, honey."

I smiled back and nodded, walking over to take a seat at the counter. "Duh, now hurry up! I'm getting a little antsy." 

My mother began to make the usual morning coffee for us and even prepared some bread and butter for us on the side. She crunched her nose up and smelled deeply into the air. "You know... it smells like a boy in here." 

Freezing up a tiny bit, I furrowed my eyebrows at her. I took a deep breath in and exhaled, looking around. "You smell that right? Like, cologne?" She continued, sniffing around the kitchen. 

Someone knocked at my door and I looked at her, giving each other confused looks. She walked over to the door and opened it slightly, peeking through the distance. 

"Oh, uh- Hi Mam',  is Mari home?" Ross cleared his throat and his faint voice filled the room. I took three large leaps over to the door and opened it.