something special

"What happens if you are expelled from a university?" 

Come on, google. I'm desperate. 

Vivienne tapped on her glass of hot tea and nudged forward. "What does it say?" She repeated, at least two times. I scrolled through the different websites and their answers. 

Lose tuition money, non-refundable, permanent record, troubles with transcripts, the list goes on. 

"Will you lose all your progress if you go to another university?" Vivienne asked, shaking my hand on the table to grab my attention. I exhausted a quick breath and took a big gulp of my coffee. 

"Pretty much. There's hope, but a slight chance." Both of our faces dropped. She moved uncomfortably in her seat for a few seconds and ended her movements with a faint smile. 

"You'll get your chance again, love. I know it," she assured. I brought my head down to look at my jeans. I brushed my fingers up and down my thigh, nervously. "I've never seen anyone as hungry as you... and I don't mean literally." She looked down at the uneaten croissant on the plate in front of me. 

"I am. I do want my degree, but I can't help but think this is some sort of a sign for me. I'm for sure not going back to that place, but I think this is a time to start looking for another..." I began. A call flashed crossed Vivienne's Apple Watch and she looked down at it, reading the name. 

She peered up at me and answered, "Perspective?" I nodded my head as she answered the call. 

"Rocky? Oh shoot, I forgot you were flying in today! Where are you?" 

I looked down at my croissant and winced. I decided it was time to play with my leftover coffee instead. 

"Well where are you now?" Vivienne arranged her leftovers and utensils in front of her, packing up. I looked up at her, startled, and she nudged over to the door. I took this as my cue to begin finishing up as well.

"The Millennium? Well that's right across the street from us." She stopped moving and gestured over for me to sit down again. "I'm having breakfast at the lovely diner across from you, come join us, will you?" Vivienne placed her hand up to grab the waitress' attention. She looked out towards the direction of the windows and raised her eyebrows. "Ahh, I see you! I'm waving, doo you see me, Rocky?" She began waving. I darted my eyes in her direction and saw a dirty blonde haired man walk towards us. He was in a warm toned flannel and black skinny jeans. Geez, how do the Lynch brothers breath in those things? 

Rocky began walking towards us and Vivienne hung up the phone. She grabbed an empty chair from the table next to us and looked over at me to say, "You remember us talking about Ross' brother? Rocky." 

"Yes," I nodded. Before I can even take another sip of my coffee, Rocky was walking through the door and over to us. Vivienne embraced him in a giant hug which swayed side to side. He was smiling greatly. They stopped hugging and Vivienne gestured her arm over to me. 

"This is-" She started.

"Marina?" Rocky finished. I gulped down and nodded in surprise.

"How did you know?" Vivienne asked, furrowing her eyebrows at him, but still surprised as well. They finally sat down and he extended his hand out for me to greet. 

"Lucky guess," he responded, smiling.

 I put my coffee mug down and wiped my mouth with a napkin. "Wow, I must say, you Lynch brothers really do have an..." I began, watching him look through the menu. I trailed down to his sneakers. Converse, of course. "Aesthetic to yourselves." 

Vivienne chuckled and nodded dramatically, "Wait until you see the rest of their siblings." 

"There are more of you?" I asked, silently thanking the universe. 

"5 of us total," he responded with a chuckle almost identical to Ross'. The waitress arrived and introduced herself to Rocky. He ordered his food and she drifted back into the kitchen. He leaned back in his chair and asked, "Has anyone seen Ross? He hasn't been answering any of my texts or calls." 

"Probably sleeping, of course. What time did he leave your place, Mari?" Vivienne took another sip of her tea and raised her eyebrows at me, trying to hide her smirk. 

"Your place? Huh, interesting," Rocky hinted, catching a glimpse of Vivienne's expression. 

I put my hands up slightly and shook my head, "It's not what it sounds like. We were just talking about music, and I'm assuming you both know how that goes for Ross," I answered. 

"That explains it," Rocky confirmed as the waitress returned with his breakfast. He had more facial hair than Ross, and a cleaner cut. His eyebrows were thicker than mine, impressive. He wore a guitar pick as a necklace and black studs in his ears. He was the complete guitarist. "Did he play any of our songs for you?" He added.

"Oh, no. We were just listening to my vinyls. The Beatles, Prince, Elton John, and some of Queen. you know, the classics," I responded, finally taking a bite of my croissant. 

Rocky bit down on his sandwich and smirked at me, "Wow. Sounds like you guys had quite the night. You have any Bruce Springsteen?" 

I grinned, "Of course. I love the 80s, if you couldn't tell from my selection." 

Before taking another bite he looked over at me and said, "Maybe I can spend the night too." 

I brought my lips to a firm line, trying not to start blushing and seeming like a total goof. Vivienne bursted out laughing and raised her mug up at me. 

"Marina, you're something special," she declared, bringing her mug back in and setting it down, still laughing. I shifted in my seat and tried not to laugh but I couldn't help it. Soon Rocky joined in and we were all just laughing over something I didn't quite understand. I used this as my way in.

"You know, Ross brought up the idea of me becoming the band's publicist. Viv, I know you seem to handle a whole bunch of things for them, but maybe you could use some help? Since I'm no longer in school and need some job experience-" I requested until Vivienne cut me off.

"Stop right there. That is an amazing idea! I could totally use the help. What do you say, Rocky?" Vivienne exclaimed. My nerves were still getting the best of me and my palms were beginning to sweat, oddly. I wiped them off with my sleeves. 

Rocky took his last bite and cleared his throat before saying "I don't see why we couldn't try that out. We did get that interview for Billboard later today. Show us what you've got and you can have the job," he declared putting his hand out to me. 

I shook it intensively and agreed, "Deal." He felt the clamminess of my palms and I quickly brought my hand back. 

"Sorry, this coffee is making me warm up," I apologized, lightly laughing. 

They stared at me for a few seconds, which felt like a short eternity, and laughed almost at the same time. 

I think I've found my way in.