Chapter 37

After the train finally came to a stop at King's Cross station, Alexandra and Mike left the train carrying their trunks on trollies. She had already changed into her rather fancy Wizarding robes, because of her grandfather's insisting. She never liked to wear those dresses, seeing as it made all Muggles stare after her, and even a few of the Hogwarts students.

Alexandra was glad that Mike still hadn't tried to question her about where she had gone before boarding the train. Although she came to learn that there was another thing that had made Mike wondering.

"Okay, Alex, since when have you become so — so —" Mike started with a frown, but he couldn't find the right word.

"So what?" Alexandra raised a brow at him, suppressing a smile.

"So... ugh, I don't know the word!" He huffed, rolling his eyes. "But if that girl had talked to you this way a year ago, you would've either thanked her or apologize. Not 'that's none of you business, Jacobs'."

Alexandra giggled at that. "Is it bad that I'm standing up for myself?"

"Wha — no, of course not." He shook his head briskly. "That's not what I meant. I was just... caught off guard to see this new side of you, that's all."

"Good. Then I'll see you in a few weeks. Bye, Mike." With that she went on her tiptoes and placed a soft kiss on Mike's cheek before pushing her trolley and running toward the wall, passing the barrier, and exiting platform 9 3/4.

She looked around the starion for Edna as she stood there, but Alexandra gulped when from afar she saw her grandfather in the station with Edna by his side.

Although what caught her off guard was that he wasn't alone. He was talking to woman who by her choice of clothes, it was obvious that couldn't bother to dress like Muggles. The woman was in her Wizarding robes, just like her grandfather.

Hesitantly, Alexandra pushed her trolly through the station and toward where her grandfather was standing with the woman. But even from that distance, Alexandra could tell that she wasn't a sweet human being what so ever. In fact, it was hard to tell who was more bitter; her grandfather, or the woman.

"Hello, grandpa," she said, catching their attention.

If Alexandra had thought that the woman couldn't look any grimmer, she was certainly wrong. Because the moment the woman turned her sharp look on the poor girl and her eyes narrowed, Alexandra automatically took a step back and froze under her firm gaze.

"And this must be... your granddaughter, Mr. Starling?" She spoke the words sternly as she looked Alexandra up and down with her dark eyes.

"Yes, this is Alexandra." Her grandfather nodded before turning to face his granddaughter, saying, "Alexandra, this is Walburga Black."

Alexandra took aback at those words and she had to hold herself back or her eyes would've widened in surprise. She must've been Regulus's mother. But why was she speaking to her grandfather?

Although then Alexandra forgot all about that when Walburga took slow steps toward her, not even blinking as she looked down at her in a judging manner.

"Hmm... she was a Ravenclaw, did you say?" Walburga questioned, still looking her up and down, as if taking in her every feature, obviously a hundred offensive thoughts going on in her mind.

"Indeed," said Mr. Starling in a quiet voice, as if he were ashamed to confess this.

Walburga was quiet for some while, before muttering under her breath regretfully, "What a shame."

But then their attention was caught when they saw someone walking up to them. When they looked over, they saw that it was Regulus, pushing his trolley forward with his trunk on it. Although by the little frown upon his forehead, Alexandra could tell that he was just as confused at her at that moment, not knowing what was going on.

"Hello, Mother," Regulus nodded at her politely, stealing a quick glance at Alexandra.

"Regulus, I want you to meet Marcellus Starling," said Walburga sternly, gesturing over at Alexandra's grandfather. "He's of course a respectful man, of a good bloodline."

"As all should be, Mrs. Black. As all should be," said Mr. Starling.

Maybe it was Alexandra's imagination, but after he was introduced to Mr. Starling, she saw a look of fear flash through Regulus's eyes and so he threw his gaze down.

"It's — it's nice meeting you, Mr. Starling," Regulus said politely, though he was still avoiding his gaze.

Walburga smiled to herself in satisfaction, though it was the strangest smile Alexandra had ever seen on someone's face. It wasn't heartwarming and if anything, it looked rather cruel.

"Well, it was a pleasure speaking to you, Mr. Starling," said Walburga as she finally tore her gaze away from Alexandra and looked over at her grandfather, bowing her head politely. "Hopefully we'll meet again."

"Of course," said Mr. Starling, taking his hat off only slightly as a respectful gesture before putting it back on again.

"Come along, Regulus," Walburga said with one last glance at Alexandra before turning on her heels to leave, as if not even noticing Edna's presence.

Regulus lingered only a second longer as he finally dared to look up at Mr. Starling, before throwing his gaze down briskly and walking away after his mother.

Alexandra frowned, because the second time Regulus had looked up at Mr. Starling, she became sure that he certainly feared her grandfather.