Chapter 34

Alexandra ran back toward the castle, going so fast that she wouldn't even think twice as she turned each corner, making her way up the Ravenclaw tower. Her mind was racing and her heart was beating even faster as she went.

     Alexandra had suddenly remembered the night back in the Astronomy tower, when Regulus had almost kissed her. But she also remembered what had stopped them; it was Corvus.

      Corvus was the black bird that Alexandra had saved from the bitter winter cold and had given him food and shelter when he was just a baby. But later on she had found out that Crovus wasn't an ordinary crow. He was a Raven.

    A raven who had come to her in a moment of danger to save her; even though Alexandra didn't know she was in danger herself.

     But there was another person other than Corvus who knew of this danger way before Alexandra did; someone who had been watching over her this year, telling her things that Alexandra hadn't thought twice about until this very moment.

    It was the Gray Lady, the ghost of the Ravenclaw tower.

    Months ago, when Helena Ravenclaw had seen Alexandra walking up with Regulus by her side, she had said the most curious thing that only now Alexandra thought back at.

     By now, Alexandra had become so desperate for answers that she didn't care who she went to in search for it; living or dead. She obviously couldn't communicate with Corvus, nor did she know where he even was. But she had to find Helena and speak with her; although not many students knew that this was the name the Grey Lady had as a living woman.

     Alexandra turned each corridor leading up to the Ravenclaw tower, trying to be as quick as possible so she wouldn't miss the train, until she finally saw her; a pale figure with long raven black hair, floating along the hall.

     "Helena!" Alexandra called her out, causing the ghost to come to a stop. But she didn't turn around, so Alexandra took the opportunity and stepped slowly toward her. "I — I need to talk to you."

    Helena said nothing, but unlike Alexandra's expectations, the ghost didn't move away from her and instead she turned around to finally face her.

    "Isn't your train supposed to leave?" Helena questioned in a gentle voice, though her eyes were looking Alexandra up and down curiously.

    "This is urgent," Alexandra said breathlessly, slightly panting after running all the way up. "Months ago... you had told me something... back when you had seen me with Regulus Black."

     "Oh, yes..." Helena nodded lightly, lowering her voice. "The Slytherin boy."

     "Yes," Alexandra said impatiently, her mind wandering off again back to that day. "You saw me with him and... and you said something... You said 'it's curious how history always repeats itself'. I was just wondering what you meant by that."

      Helena's expression did not change, as if she hadn't expected anything less from a Ravenclaw; they were all driven by their curiosity and their hunger for answers, always in search of wisdom. And if there was one thing Helena was certain of, was that Alexandra was a true Ravenclaw, like many of her other peers in this House.

     "Please," said Alexandra, as if begging with her eyes.

     "Let's just say... this isn't the first time a Ravenclaw girl finds herself driven by a Slytherin boy," Helena said, but before Alexandra could ask anything else, she started to float away.

     "No, wait!" Alexandra exclaimed, trying to run after her. "I — I need to know! Lately, I feel like I'm lost. Like... I know nothing of my own existence or the things going on around me at the present. But at least I need to know what you meant, because I have a feeling that it mattered deeply. That it meant something important."

      Helena sighed, staring off into distance with a haze in her eyes. But still she uttered no word. So once again Alexandra took it upon herself to speak.

     "You were the one who sent the raven after me, Helena, weren't you?"

     By those words, Helena's eyes went wide and she briskly turned on the spot, staring at Alexandra in both disbelief and surprise.

     "How did you —?"

     "How did I know?" Alexandra smiled. "I didn't. But you just confirmed it for me."

      Helene took a back. She did not expect to be outwitted by another student who was years and years younger than her. But she tried to straighten her expression and look forward at Alexandra coldly.

     "How would you even suspect that in the first place?" Helena questioned, raising a brow at her.

     "Not many people know this, but many wander about it all the same," Alexandra started, "a question that many have asked before is that why is the animal of Ravenclaw house an eagle, and not a raven bird?"

     Helena stared down at her, as if she couldn't understand where Alexandra was going with this. But she just let the young girl go on.

     "But I've read about them," Alexandra continued. "There are many myths coming from the native Americans, stating that an eagle and a raven represent two halves of a whole. They were even often seen flying alongside each other. But while eagle symbolizes strength and wit, the ravens often carry messages of betrayal and loss, giving meaning to the phrase 'Dark wings carry dark words.'"

     "What are you trying to get at?"

     "That even though Ravenclaw House's animal in an eagle, a raven is what completes it. And that if the legends are true, a raven can help a true Ravenclaw to send a massage bearing danger and a warning," Alexandra explained. "The raven — Corvus — came to me when I was in danger, even though I didn't know of it. But you were the only true descendant of Ravenclaw that I knew, and you had tried to warn me about Regulus once before, so I connected the dots and guessed that you were the one who had sent Corvus to me."

      Helena still remained silent. She didn't know which she was feeling greater; proud, for a student in her House had lived up to the name of Ravenclaw. Or mad, because someone had outwitted her.

      "So, please..." Alexandra went on, speaking more softly, "if you know something that can help me, say it. What did you mean when you said history repeats itself? Why would you try to warn me?"

      Helena finally sighed, looking away. "Because I was once just like you... and I don't want you to end up the way I did... all because of a Slytherin boy."