Chapter Twenty

I drove way over the speed limit to the airport where I would be meeting Ted when he landed in the private jet.

 I tapped my fingers impatiently on the steering wheel as I waited, thinking over every possibility that could have happened to Lily when I left her.

Who the fuck would have her?!

My mind was blank and that just made me angrier, I wanted someone in my mind who I could blame, ease the fury away from myself and point it at someone else.

Finally the jet landed and Ted ran off, straight to my car.

“What happened?” He demanded when he climbed in the passenger seat and I hit the gas.

“I don’t know, we argued and I left her to get home by herself, and then I got this voice mail.” I said in a hurry, handing him my phone.

After listening to it Ted turned to face me, and obvious look of anger on his face. “How could you be so stupid Jason?” I groaned, letting him know I felt the same way about myself; I was stupid.

“I have an idea.” Ted says, fishing out his own phone. “Taylor, please say you’re not busy.”

Ted reminded me so much of our dad, he was the one to take charge if things needed to be sorted and directed; he was a born leader.

Ted had told Taylor we needed him to trace the phone call from Lily, hopefully pinpointing her location if her phone was still on her.

As we waited for Taylor to come out of the office, Ted and I sat on the small blue leather, both tapping our feet.

“How did you think of this?” I asked Ted. He laughed almost, despite the tense atmosphere.

“Remember that story mom told us when we were younger, how she had to leave dad but didn’t want to, and she hoped he would find her, so he followed her phone?” He asked, and I remembered.

“Well, I thought; why not give it a try?” 

I grinned, but it quickly slipped from my face when Taylor stepped out into the hall, my phone in his hand.

It was agonizing, waiting those two seconds for him to nod; indicating he had her signal.

“You know where she is?” I asked, jumping to my feet.

“We know where her phone is, whether she still has hold of her phone, we don’t know. We called it to get a fresh signal, but no answer.” Taylor answered; I felt my heart drop to my stomach, what if the reason she couldn’t answer was because…

I shook my head, refusing to think like that; I was being dramatic, surely.

“How close is she?” Ted asks.

“The signal is coming from here.” Taylor said, handing me a piece of paper with an address on it.

I didn’t understand, it was a rehabilitation home, and my guess is the one she was sectioned to years ago.

Did someone take her back there, was this some sick joke? “We have to go.” I say, already heading out of the offices, followed by Ted and Taylor. “Do you think she is there?” Ted asked as we ran down the stairs to the parking lot.

I didn’t answer; I didn’t want to jinx anything until I knew for sure that she was, or wasn’t there.

Taylor drove, with Ted in the passenger seat, I sat twitching in the back seat of my own car; why did this make me so nervous, I shouldn’t care; but of course, it wasn’t her who killed her mom, the trauma of it all sent her over the edge and made her believe she did.

“We’re going to find her Jay.” Ted said, being able to read my thoughts like our dad could. I nodded, willing myself to believe him.

The drive to the hospital was a long one; it was at the edge of the city. It took us just over half an hour to get there from the centre of the city.

When we pulled up to it, I expected to see  a creepy run down building with screaming coming from the inside, like in the movies, but the building was nice, and definitely did not give of the mental asylum image.

“Let’s go.” I said, already climbing out of the car as we parked up. “Jay, slow down.” Ted called, catching up to me.

I pushed the buzzer and waited for the receptionist to answer.

When she answered Taylor pushed us aside and said something into the intercom, but I didn’t catch him, but the doors opened none the less.

We walked in and it was quiet, but it was a comfortable quiet.

“Hello, can I help you?” I pretty woman in her forties sat at a desk and smiled as we came in. “Have you come to see someone?” She asked.

“Lillian Heirs.” I said quickly. The woman looked through her computer, and shook her head with a confused look on her face.

Taylor went ahead of us and talked to her. “What about a cell phone, has one been handed in?” 

The woman looked in a drawer under her desk and nodded. “Yes, but I can’t give it to you.” She said, with an apologising look.

I stepped forward. “It’s my girlfriend’s phone, I can tell you the make, number and screen saver.” I said, hopeful.

I reeled of the information, and the woman handed me the phone. “Well alright.” She sounded a bit sceptical but gave it to me anyway.

Taylor lead us out of the building and back to the car.

“Your girlfriend, hey?” Ted asked with a small smirk on his face.

“Shut up, she wouldn’t have given it to me otherwise.” I said, unlocking her phone and checking her call list.

My number was the last to be dialled, and that just made my heart ache; why didn’t I just answer her call.

Where could she be?

I scrolled through her phone and saw another name that stood out; one she had dialled.

“She called Mason that night I left her.” I said out loud, and Ted turned to face me.

“Mason Sage?” Ted asked. I nodded.

Why would she call Mason?

“I met Mason a year later; I was fourteen and living with foster parents, and he was everything I looked for, strong, protective, loving. He helped me get myself back; he helped me not be afraid of being touched by men anymore. It took a whole year, but eventually I could let him touch me. He was patient, but then it came to sex. I was still afraid of it. We broke up because he wanted more and didn’t want to be patient anymore to get it. But he never left me alone, he kept bugging me and bugging me, until that night, when you saved me from him, he was drunk and getting in my face, saying he was going to take what I owed him, but then you turned up.” 

He was going to take what she owed him.

“Mason has her.”  I blurted out, sure of it.

Sorry it's short, but I think the next chapter will be the last one, and I want it to be a long one! :)

I hope you're all liking this so far, and don't mind the shortness too much... 

Until next time... <3