Chapter Eight

“Not your end at least.” She says.

“My end?”

“Of the Land of Grey.” She quotes, and smiles.

“How so?” I ask with a grin.

Lily sits straight in her chair and looks at me pointedly, studying my face closely.

After what seems like hours, but could only have been a minute, she smiles a soft, shy smile.

“You’re not as driven as your dad, but you want to work for everything like him, I’m guessing you’re more like your mother, is she nice?” She asks and I nod, listening to her contemplate me. “I thought so. You try so hard to prove that you’re not a typical Grey, you want to be more than that.” Her voice gets quieter. “That’s why it’s not so bad your end of the land of Grey.” She finally finishes in a soft voice.

She’s still leaning over the table, looking right into my grey eyes with her brown ones, I could so easily lean forward and kiss her soft pink lips.

“You got all that from looking at me?” I ask with a smirk.

She shakes her head and laughs softly.

“No, I pay attention to people.” She tells me.

“Why do you have such a grudge against us?” I decide to ask, still wondering what it was all about.

“Eric said it’s something about your mother?”

Lily frowns and sits back in her seat and places her soda back on the table and looks out at the sea.

“Partly.” She whispers.

“Care to explain?” I press.

“No.” She says with an edge of finality, but not so much that it meant she would never tell me, she might do eventually.

“Okay.” I smile and she returns it, then goes back to looking at the water.

“Why have you never swam out there, really?” I ask.

The sea looked beautiful, there was a quarter moon, curved perfectly and shining brightly onto the smooth water, glittering on the odd small crash of waves as the tide moved, the water was black against the pale sand.

“I told you, I had an incident when I was younger, I can never look at the sea the same way.” She whispers. “Although, tonight it looks so pretty.”

I smile, a plan building in my mind.

I casually slip my shoes of and bend down to remove my socks and roll up my trouser legs to the bottom of my knees.

“What are you doing?” Lily asks when I stand and start walking out of the gazebo and over towards the water.

“This is one of my favourite feelings, as a child I would spend ages just doing this.” I say as I pad into the cold sea water, going a few feet in so the water pooled around my ankles.

“It’s a strange homely feeling for me.” I say.

To my pleasure, she leaves her seat and slowly, warily walks closer to me, keeping a safe distance away from the water edge.

“What does it feel like?” She asks, an expression on her face that reminds me of a small child deciding on whether they should pet the new dog in case it bites.

“I can’t explain it; it’s something you have to experience for yourself.” I hint.

She looks petrified. “You said you wouldn’t make me get in the water.” She says horrified.