Chapter One

“Where is your tie?” My father asked me softly, walking into my room with a firm grace that I most certainly did not inherit.
I rolled my eyes while his back is turned, a trait I have taken from my mother, but of course, with his strange ability to read minds and see through the back of his head, he knows I’ve done it and turns to glare heatedly at me.
I try the trick my mom always uses, grinning sheepishly, but to no avail, apparently I’m not as appealing as she is when I do it and he just clears his throat at me.

“Top drawer.” I finally say, giving in under his glare, a small amused smile plays at his lips, the same shape as mine.
I look just like him, soft copper brown hair that always cooperates with me and grey eyes, tall, broad and strong, but I am in no way like him, everything about me is just like my mother.

“Was that so hard Jason?” He asked, grinning, his straight white teeth gleaming in the early sun that shines through my balcony windows.
I roll my eyes again, matching his amused smirk with my own.
“When do you need to be at the college?” He asks as he walks over to the drawers and pulls out my dark blue tie, then throws it at me to put on. I have a special talent at tying ties thanks to him and his years of teaching me how so I looked smart at all his events he took us to.

“Tomorrow.” I mutter, knowing I was going to start some kind of argument, I normally did with my sarcastic mouth, as my dad put it.
“What time?” He asked again, his tone a bit dryer than before.
I flopped down into my desk chair, showing my lack of grace by almost toppling to the floor, which my dad smirked at, but quickly masked it with his blank, intimidating face.
I grinned up at him, knowing he couldn’t be mad at me when I did something stupid, it reminded him of when I was a kid, falling over everything and walking into things, it was my endearment.
I finally gave in to him. “Ten o’clock.” I answered, turning the chair to face my Mac.
“Are you going to take that with you?” He asked, meaning my computer.
I shook my head. “No, I have my laptop.”
“So I can sell this when we empty your room and redecorate?” He teased.
“Very funny.” I replied. “Don’t you have work to do or something?”
I could feel him smirking so I turned to face him.
“It’s your last day here, you think I would miss that? Besides, we’re leaving in an hour.”
My eyes widened, “But it’s only eight o’clock now, we have all day to go.”
“If we were to drive it would take hours.” He countered.
“But we’re not driving.” I reminded him.
He smirked once again and nodded once, then left my room.
I shook my head at him and rolled my eyes, knowing he would hate it.
“Don’t roll your eyes.” I heard him call from down the hall way.
How does he do that?!

Ten minutes later, after I had finished packing the last few bits I would need into my bag, my mother came, smiling warmly, the smile only she could do. It was one of those smiles that could melt even the coldest of hearts, so being mad at her was practically and impossibility.
“Breakfast is ready.” She said.
“Thanks mom.” I reply, smiling down at her, being a good foot taller than her, just like my dad.
“Are you all ready to go?” She questioned, looking around my almost empty room.
I nod at her, picking my last few bags up and leading her out of my room and down into the dining room, where my dad, my older brother Ted, and my older Sister Grace are sitting at the table, eating and talking.

When Ted sees me, he grins widely. “There’s my little college bound brother!” He calls, making Grace turn to smile our moms smile at me, she is the spitting image of her, apart from the Grey eyes; Ted is the only one who got our moms bright blue eyes, although he too looks like dad.
Ted finished college last year, he went to Princeton for three years, and is now working for dad at Grey Enterprises, Grace is going into her last year at Dartmouth with me, which makes my first year a little less intimidating, knowing she will be there.

“Come eat.” My dad orders, not looking up from his blackberry, he is probably checking his emails, like he usually does.
I take my seat opposite Grace and eat my breakfast.
“Are you scared?” She asks me after a few moments of silence, I look up and see her face is excited, she loves college, if she could, she would stay there all summer, but our parents want us all home during the holidays so we can go away together as a family, this year we went to Egypt.
I shake my head, grinning at her. “Should I be?” I tease, and she nods mockingly.
“Oh yes, be very afraid Jay, Dartmouth is a hell hole.” She jokes, using my nickname, I was names after my dad’s good friend, Jason Taylor, he worked for dad for years apparently, but he left a while after Ted was born to spend time with his own daughter, Sophie, although we don’t see her much now because she moved to England with her mother, Taylor on the other hand is like an Uncle to us.
Grace doesn’t want to work at Grey enterprises; she wants to open her own dance studio, yes, she loves to dance, she is studying the form, art and mechanics of dance at Dartmouth, who knew? No doubt she will open one, with the help of our dad; we can do pretty much anything we want.

I on the other hand, want to open my own art studio, have classes, students of my own, exhibits, shows; the lot.
I have a love of drawing, painting, anything like that, Ted is the only one of us who took our fathers business ambition, Grace and I inherited the creative gene from someone else, mom say from her mother, our grandmother, she loves creative things like art and dance.

“Is Taylor coming to new Hampshire with us?” I asked, Dartmouth is in new Hampshire, my open day is tomorrow so we’re going up tonight to stay in a hotel.
“Yes.” Dad answered, and as if on cue, someone knocks on the door, Ted gets up to answer it and moments later he leads Taylor in.
“Sir.” He greets dad, h always did this, saying it is because of habit.
“How many times do I need to tell you Taylor, call me Christian.” My dad smiles warmly up at his old friend.
Taylor smiles back and nods. “Ana.” He greets my mother, who gets up to hug him tightly.
“Taylor.” She replies. “Are you sure it’s okay for you to come with us?” She asks.
“Of course, just like old times.” He grins, mirroring my dad’s smile at memories us kids are unaware of.
“We need to leave shortly, the Jet Is ready and waiting.” Taylor says in his business voice, sometimes I think he still likes to work for dad, and would jump at the chance if offered.
“Thank you Taylor.” He says to his friend. “Get ready.” He tells the rest of us, also using his no nonsense business tone.
I run upstairs to grab my phone and when I come back down Taylor has already put all of our bags into the back of his RV, and is joined in the front by Ted, who is the closest to Taylor. Grace and I climb into the back seats of the Audi a4 when dad pulls out in it, then we make the twenty minute drive to where the private Jet is waiting for us.