Chapter 7: holidays part 1 - tension building

A/N: just felt the need to say for the part about her parents in this chapter and the next one are JUST FOR THE STORY...thanks!

-Christmas time-
Grace really wasn't a big fan of this time of year, hadn't been since she lost her parents 2 years ago in a car crash - this was her mom's favorite time of year.  Still, she tried to put on a brave face at work. 
She really was trying her best to at least pretend she was excited but she had a feeling it wasn't working...that combined with the ever growing attraction to her boss made for a stressful time.  Then, one morning she came in and found an invitation on her desk, looking like it was in Abby's handwriting.
"You're invited to the annual holiday party, this Saturday! If you're reading this, you have to come cause if you don't I'll come find you and drag you here" Grace chuckled slightly and put the invite back on her desk, and then she saw something on the back of it.  "P.S. Grace, you know who will be there ;)" she paled slightly and ran her hand through her hair. 
"Well, guess I don't have a choice..." she said quietly.
-Saturday night-
Grace showed up right on time and saw the team there, but one person was missing.  She shrugged off her disappointment and went to talk to Abby.
"Hey, Abby"
"Oh, hey! You look great! Dressing to impress?" She said with a smirk and Grace rolled her eyes, but smiled at the compliment.  She was wearing a simple red dress with black flats and a small angel necklace around her neck. 
"Very funny..." she said, looking around again.  "It doesn't look like he's here anyways..."
"Yeah he is" Abby replied
"Then, where is he?" She asked, skeptical.
"Right behind you" a new voice answered, and she turned quickly and came face to face with Gibbs. 
"Hey, Gibbs" she said, positive that she was as red in the face as her dress.  "Glad you could make it"
"Yeah, same to you" he replied, and she just smiled.  She took a moment to take in his appearance - red shirt under his typical black jacket with black slacks and dress shoes.  She noticed that he was doing the same to her and nervously moved some hair from her face. 
Then, a slow Christmas song came on and she watched as other people moved out into the dance floor.  She wasn't expecting to dance - she wasn't much of a dancer - especially to the song that came on, so she was surprised when Gibbs held out a hand to her in silent invitation.  She hesitated, but nodded and took his hand and they walked to the dance floor 
"I have to warn you, I'm not the best dancer..."she said quietly.  He just shrugged, but let go of her hand only to put it on her hip.  After a few moments, they were swaying to the music, and she couldn't help but notice that people were watching. 
"Don't worry about them, it's you and me right now" she heard him say and looked up at him.  After a few more minutes, the song ended and they separated, heading back to the table.  Then, a song came on that she couldn't listen to without getting upset.  She tried to hide it but it quickly became apparent that she wouldn't be able to.  She stood up and walked away from the group, trying her best to keep her emotions at bay until she was sure she'd be alone.