Chapter 8

I'm drowning.

The water's choking me. Or is it the air?

Wake up. Wake up.

Gem forcibly opened her eyes and she stared for a moment as everything turned hazy. She sat up and looked around but it was as if darkness had shrouded her vision. She couldn't see anything clearly.

"Mistress! Mistress!" Someone was shouting.

Was that Elizabeth?

"Where are you, Elizabeth?" Gem reached out her hands but she caught nothing but air.

"Miss," Elizabeth whispered hoarsely. "I'm on the other side of you. Can't you see me?"

A pair of cold hands grabbed her and Gem nodded. "I can feel you now."

"What happened, Miss? Did they do something to you? Did they make you blind?" Elizabeth was hysterical.

Gem closed her eyes. Chill, Gem. What exactly happened?

The confrontation with Pierre Monet.

Meeting that bitchy mother of hers.

Her mother bit her.

"Mercy," Gem whispered. "My mother bit me. This half-blindess is a side effect. Elizabeth, are there purple spots on my body?"

"Yes, Miss, but they look more like bruises."

"No," Gem snarled. "I cannot believe this. She bit her own daughter. Does she not know what venom would do to half-breeds?"

"What do you mean?'

"The poison's eating my body right now. I will be dead in a few days," Gem growled, her voice thickening with frustration. She touched her boots. The gun and whip was no longer strapped there.

They had no weapons and they were stuck in a prison cell. So far, this was the worst situation she had ever been. She didn't have any weapon on her.

"Damn it. What the hell are they planning?" Gem growled.

"Maybe it's got to do with Luke Garon."

"Damn that fucking, asshole piece of vampire shit," Gem cursed at the mention of him. "He never told me that he was the leader of the Order. That fuc-"

"Well, miss, you never asked," Elizabeth interrupted.

"That's very obvious," Gem snapped and sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm just confused. I'm dying right here and it's all because of my mother."

"I never knew she was such a bitch," Elizabeth replied bluntly.

"I don't want to talk about it," Gem snapped. Her mother's betray still hurt her and she didn't want to dwell on the matter any further. They had to get out of this smelly prison cell first.

"Elizabeth, I will have to depend on you now because I can't see very well," she said hurriedly. "We need to get out of here. If not, we will be killed."

"Yes, m'am."

"How many guards are there?" Gem lowered her voice.

"Two."

"Are they mortals or vampires?"

"Mortals."

"Okay, look. We will distract them and knock them out. Once they are unconscious, we will make a run for it."

"M'am, this is too dangerous," Elizabeth said worriedly. "Besides, your vision is blurred. How are you going to defend yourself?"

"I will just have to make do with it. The problem is, we don't have a weapon."