Chapter 21: Invasion

"I said I hate dancing," Gem hissed as Luke Garon dragged her out to the dance floor. She tried to struggle out of his grasp but his hold on her was firm.

"Chill," he said. "Dancing is a useful skill. You should learn it."

"I don't see a need," she replied coldly. "Besides, shouldn't you be off entertaining diplomats or some vampiric princes or something?"

"I've seen them for the past few hundred years. I need a refreshing change," Luke Garon replied and looked down at her. "See, isn't dancing easy?"

Gem looked down at her feet. Sure, they were dancing pretty well by her standards but only because Luke Garon was guiding her. Everywhere around her, all the couples were waltzing with complicated moves. And there was also a small matter that he had his hands around her. It was disconcerting.

"So, how are you enjoying the stay at the castle?" he whispered and Gem looked up, annoyed. She didn't want to make any small talk. 

"It's fine." she admitted. "Everyone has been pretty nice except for Ruby."

"Ruby? Did she offend you?" Luke Garon narrowed his eyes.

"More like she hates me," she snorted. "And I've never offended her."

"I know why." He gave her a strange look. "But I'm not sure whether I should tell you the reason."

"Why?" Gem stared back at him. She was curious of course as to why the beautiful, perfect vampire would hate her, the plain boring half-breed. 

"She's jealous of you."

"You've got to be kidding me," she couldn't help but laugh. "She's better than me in all ways."

"Not in one way though," he whispered. "I'm not sure if you're aware but she's in love with me."

"Oh." Gem scanned his face but he was telling the truth. "So?" She shrugged. "What has that got do with me?"

Red specks started to appear in his eyes and Gem tried to take a step back but found that she couldn't because he was still stubbornly holding her. 

"Are you kidding me?" he growled. "You don't see the connection?"

"Yes, I can't," she snapped. "So what if she's in love with you? That's your problem isn't it?"

"You are dense, Gem Austen," he said, sounding irritated. 

"Shut the fuck up," she retorted and shook him off. "Now, if you will excuse me, I will be returning to my room to enjoy some quiet time off." She stormed off 

"Where do you think you are going?" Luke Garon grabbed his arm. "The song isn't finished yet."

"Well, your Highness," she said sarcastically. "I guess you should go find someone else to dance with like your darling Ruby." With that, she slipped from his grasp and disappeared into the crowd.

She walked into an isolated hallway and sighed. She hated him. Somehow, she didn't get why Luke Garon was bothering her. And the way he acted around her was strange. Sure, she was his guest technically but she didn't get why he was so obsessed with her affairs. 

Suddenly, she spotted two vampires heading her way. Normally, she wouldn't take a second look at them but something made her stop and take a second glance at them.

They wearing capes and had a hood over them which was typical of the palace guards but...there was something strange about them. The aura they were giving off.....was foreboding and ominous.

As the two vampires walked towards her, Gem debated whether to run. Her intuition was telling her to escape and make a run for it but it would take a long time before she would be able to reach the ballroom where everyone was.