Chapter 3

"I killed him," a hoarse voice sounded out from the other side of the phone.

"Come again?" Gem frowned as she stared at her computer, whilst trying to draft out a new contract for one of her clients.

"I said, I killed him. The blood donor," the person repeated.

These words would have normally chilled anyone to the bone but Gem didn't even flinch. "Do you mean Galvin Moore?" she asked coolly.

"Yes. That human couldn't even survive two bites," Frederick moaned. "The quality's getting worse."

Sighing, Gem muttered, "I assure you, Frederick, that the deaths would decrease if vampires like you would just stop scaring them to death with your theatrics."

Frederick had a habit of dressing up in a black cloak to meet his blood donors like Dracula. No doubt, most of the humans died from fear.

"Can you help me dispose of the body?" Frederick asked. "And I need a new donor. I'm growing weak from the lack of blood already."

"I'm on it."

********

As Gem pulled up her car in front of Frederick's mansion, she grabbed a huge bag and discreetly unlocked the gates before slipping inside.

"You're finally here," Frederick grumbled. His pale face seemed paler than usual and there were dark circles beneath his yellow cat eyes.

"Here's the emergency blood donor packets." She tossed the bag to him. He caught it expertly before opening the bag hungrily. "Delightful, delightful," he murmured and started tearing the packets apart and lapping up the blood like a dog.

"Where's the body?"

"Inside."

Gem rolled her eyes and sauntered into the dark house. In actual fact, Frederick's mansion was more like a crypt. It was no wonder Galvin Moore died of a heart attack.

She saw the fat body slumped onto the floor and for a moment, she gazed at the fear-stricken face of the man she had met just a few days ago. A wave of pity enveloped her and she forced it down.

No, she couldn't feel sympathy for the man. It was bad to be emotional in her professional.

Stone-faced, she took a huge black bag and started to stuff the body into it.

"Need any help?" Frederick called from outside, no doubt temporarily pausing from his blood delish.

"No." Besides, this wasn't the first time she had to do this.

As soon as the entire body was inside the bag, she tied a knot and hurled the bag on her shoulder before walking outside.

Frederick paused and looked up. "You're strong." He seemed surprised.

Gem shrugged. There was no use telling him that half-breeds like her had more strength than normal humans. "Would you prefer if I burn him or dump him in the forest?" she asked monotonously.

"I don't care, just do whatever you want." Frederick waved his hands dismissively.

Rolling her eyes, she quickly dumped the body in the boot of her car and started up the engine. Within an hour, she arrived at a quiet forest and lugged the body out of the car before walking through a battered trail.

Reaching a small creek, she took a shovel out from her bag and started digging a hole. Once it was large enough, she through the bag into the hole and covered soil on it.

Getting rid of bodies was really the toughest part of her job. It was messy and disgusting. Still, she was expected to do it so she couldn't complain.

Suddenly, a smooth voice echoed from behind her. "My, what is the aloof Gem Austen doing in the middle of a forest?"

Gem gasped and spun around.

A dark figure emerged from the trees.

"Luke Garon," she hissed. What was he doing here?

As if hearing her thoughts, Luke Garon smiled. "I'm surprised that you aren't aware that I actually own this patch of land." He gestured around him. "I would have thought the elusive Gem Austen would have done a thorough check on me."

"Tell me honestly, what are you doing here, Mr Garon?" Gem demanded. She wasn't used to surprise in general. It was strange, how Luke Garon, unnerved her so much.

"I hunt animals a lot," Luke Garon continued innocently. "Not for food because their blood is simply disgusting but I like the thrill of chasing a prey. It makes my dull life slightly more exciting. Besides, the Order doesn't allow me to hunt humans."

Gem nodded. It was true. The Order forbade any vampires from deliberately hunting humans out of fear that their secrecy would be blown. Still, Luke Garon could have been lying.

"Isn't this too much of a mere coincidence?" She raised her eyebrows. "That you would chance upon me while I'm...." Her eyes strayed to the lump of soil beside her.

Luke Garon followed her gaze and he seemed amused. "Ah, I'm sorry that I interrupted you while you were doing your job. But isn't it common courtesy that you should ask the owner of the land if you could bury a body?"

"I wasn't aware that this was a private property," Gem Austen muttered. "I apologise for my complete ignorance."

"Don't be so harsh on yourself." Luke Garon shrugged. "Now, I have a lodge nearby. Would you like a cup of tea?"

What? This seemed almost serene. To be invited for tea whilst standing next to a dead body. Still, she owed him that much to accept his invitation.

"A cup of tea would be nice," Gem said reluctantly.