Chapter 20: Masquerade

"Why are you not dressed yet?" Elizabeth asked.

Gem looked up from the book she was reading. "I'm not going down. Masquerades aren't my thing."

"But Luke Garon wants you there."

"So?" Gem snapped. His name brought up memories of her being weak infront of him. Damn him for bringing up Sam and all those horrific memories. "I'm not obliged to follow all his wishes, am I?"

A sudden knock on the door interrupted their conversation.

"Are you done yet?" A shrill, high-pitched voice demanded.

Gem wrinkled her eyebrows in frustration. Ruby. Her bane of her whole existence. She didn't get why Ruby was such a witch. Some of the vampires here were quite nice save for her. Was her half-breed status really an eyesore to her?

"I'm not going down," she shouted.

The door flew open even though it was locked from inside. Ruby was standing there in a magnificent red dress with a high slit at the side. Gem felt a wave of inferiority just from looking at her. There was no way she would even be that pretty.

"Did you just say that you weren't going down?" Ruby growled, looking irritated. "Master wants you down and you follow his wishes."

"Tell him I'm sick." Gem pulled up the covers. "Besides, you don't want me down, do you?"

"It's not my wishes that are of importance," Ruby snapped and her cat eyes flashed red. "Now, you either put on a dress and save us all from embarrassment or I will throw you out of the window."

"Shut up." But Gem got up and walked towards the wardrobe. Luke had sent a few dresses as gifts but they weren't really her taste. She randomly grabbed at her aquamarine dress and slipped it on.

"There, are you happy now?" she demanded.

"I'm so delighted," Ruby said sarcastically and gave her an indifferent glance. "Plain and boring." She sashayed out, leaving Gem shaking with anger.

"Mistress," Elizabeth said comfortingly. "Just ignore her."

"Easy for you to say."

***********************

As Gem strode down the stairs, she paused and stared at the whole spectacle infront of her. The usually gloomy castle had been decorated with bright sparkly lights and wine glasses filled with blood were being passed around. She hated these social affairs. She hated the artificiality and superficiality that came with most of these interactions.

But she had no choice today.

Slowly, she reached the ballroom and started to walk towards a quiet corner where she could avoid attention.

"Gem!" A high-pitched scream pierced through the air.

Gem froze. "Kalia." She pasted a smile as she saw the little vampire sashaying gracefully towards her.

"Glad you made it!" Kalia beamed. "My brother would be so delighted to see you!" She gave her an appreciative glance which made Gem feel a little self-conscious. "Let me introduce you to some people." Kalia pulled her along as they walked past little clusters of chattering vampires.

All Gem could do was stare. She felt uncomfortable from being in the presence of so many predators of the night.

"Jeremiah!" Kalia called out to a vampire standing alone in the corner. The vampire smiled when he saw her but it was soon replaced by a frown when his gaze settled on Gem.

"Kalia." He kissed her on the cheeks.

"Gem, let me introduce you to my fiance, Jeremiah, the ruling warlord of one of our vampiric factions," Kalia said cheerily.