Chapter 24: Arrival of the Queen

Mistress?

Gem whipped her head to face Luke and she demanded, "Who is this Mistress?"

Luke Garon looked stunned. He released his hold on her arm and he was staring at his servant disbelievingly. "Are you sure it's Portia?"

The servant looked a little affronted. "Of course Master, I still remember Mistress though it has been almost 200 years since I last saw her."

When the servant disappeared, Gem glared at Luke. "Will you care to explain who this Mistress is?"

"Portia," he said shortly but didn't elaborate.

"Obviously I know what's her name since you've repeated it a gazillion times," Gem snapped. "I mean, what'ts her relation to you?"

"Portia..." Luke looked up and stared into her eyes. "Portia's my wife."

Wife.

Wife.

Wife.

Luke Garon's married?

That bastard had the galls to want to kiss me just a minute go.

Now he's married to some vampire?

Gem closed her eyes. "I thought you didn't have a mate. Explain."

Luke opened his mouth with some difficulty as the words came out strained. "She's not my mate because as I've said, mates are exceedingly rare but she's a wife that was chosen by my father when he was still in reign. It can take thousands of years to find your mate so my father proposed to find a wife in the mean time as a partner."

"And you failed to mention this just now because?" she retorted angrily.

"You don't understand Gem." Luke shook his head. "Portia and I are husband and wife in name only. After we got married, she disappeared from time to time because she got bored in the palace. The last time I saw her was 200 years ago."

"And why did you ask to kiss me when you had a legal wife?" Gem spat out. "Don't you understand the idea of monogamy?"

"She's not my wife emotionally!"

Gem was about to open her mouth to retort when the doors flew open and a stunning, pale-skinned woman walked in. Her features were delicate and her face was porcelain. Gem was suddenly transported to the time she had seen the exact same face in a portrait in the room she had borrowed a dress from.

Portia Garon looked at both of them unsmilingly. "Am I interrupting something?"

 Gem noted with dismay when Luke's hand dropped from her arm. 

"What are you doing here?" Luke asked hoarsely.

"This is my home. Of course I'm entitled to return here," she replied coolly. "Besides, I heard about the invasion and I wanted to make sure you were okay."

Gem noticed Luke had clenched his fists. 

"And you decide to come back after what, 200 years?" he retorted sarcastically.

"You know how I'm like Luke," Portia replied. "But I'm still your wife, aren't I?" She gave Gem a dismissive look. "I didn't know you were into half-breeds as playthings."

"Excuse me?" Gem glared at the woman. To hell whoever she was. "Shut your mouth. Didn't your mum teach you manners?"

"A fiesty one huh." Portia gave her a scathing look. "Though a little plain. Luke, are you into the vanilla taste?"

"What the f-" Gem stepped towards her and Luke grabbed her arm and she tried to shake him off but his grip was strong.

"Portia," Luke said slowly. "I will have you know right now that you've come back at the wrong time. And this time will not be like how it is in the past. I will no longer condone you abandoning your post as Queen of the vampires."

"And what? You are disposing of me?" Portia's face creased into a frown. "I was chosen by your father, Luke. I am the chosen Queen."

"The condition was that you would be the Queen until I find my mate," Luke snapped. "And the blood moon is coming in a few weeks time."

"Oh Luke," Portia snorted. "Do you really think you will find a mate? You haven't found her for the past millenium. What makes you think you will find her now?"

Luke's eyes momentarily flickered to Gem. Portia caught his eye and she glared at him. "Are you telling me this half-breed is your mate?"

"I won't know until the blood moon season arrives."

"But you are considering it?" Portia gave him a scathing look. "How can the Dark Lord take a half-breed as a wife? It's against the rules of the Order. They will dispose of you and install Decker as the king."

"That will be my dream come true." A voice interrupted from the door.

Gem looked up to find the prince of darkness sauntering in. Irritating bastard. 

"I heard you were back, my lovely Portia," Decker cooed and scanned her hungrily. "You look beautiful as always."

"I'm no longer into the sexual games you were so fond of," Portia said boredly and gave him a look. "You look as disgusting as always."

"Always the complimentary sort," Decker muttered.

"Out, Decker. This concerns my household affairs," Luke snapped, motioning to the door. He was not fond of his brother because he was always meddling in his affairs.

"Don't chase me, brother," Decker said with an evil smile. "The Queen is back. Shouldn't I offer my greetings since I haven't seen her for the past 200 years?"

"Of course, and continue your illicit affair with her," Luke said harshly. "Now both of you, out. I need to talk to Gem."

"Are you chasing me from OUR room?" Portia narrowed her eyes.

Luke glared at her with a thunderous look, the face he wore when he was about to execute someone. Even Portia looked scared for a second before she masked it quickly. "Whatever, but I will be back," she said ominously before sauntering out of the room. Decker grinned evilly and followed his sister-in-law.

Gem was quiet all this while as she witnessed their exchange.

"Gem-" Luke started.

"Stop, Luke." She held up her hand. "What am I doing here? I let myself here in a moment of weakness. I shouldn't have come."

"No, list-"

"I need time alone," she muttered and bolted out of the door.

They always disappoint. They always broke her heart. 

Just like Sam, Luke was no exception.