thirty

"Hey, Poet, come on in."

Poet followed Mrs. Keaton into her office. He immediately sat down in the big leather chair, which of the three had become his favorite, and put his head in his hands. He took shallow breaths, tears welling up in his eyes. 

Mrs. Keaton sat down in her chair, reaching forward to place the tissues next to him. "Take all the time you need, Poet. I'm here when you're ready." Poet nodded, stilling staring at the floor. He inhaled and exhaled shakily, letting a few stray tears escape before he cleared his throat and sat up straight. He wiped away the lingering tears with his hand, rubbing it on his jeans. "Sorry about that."

Mrs. Keaton shook her head, crossing her leg over the other. "No, no. It's one hundred percent okay. You're safe to feel and express any emotions you want in here. And I'll be here to help you, okay?" Poet nodded, wiping his nose. "Good." She smiled. "Now, are you able to talk about what's bothering you or should we talk about something else?"

"No. It's okay I can talk. I'm just...overwhelmed, you know? I think that's the right word. I was just at a meeting with my friend and her dad and my other friend and his dad and it was really awkward and weird. I just felt, like, uncomfortable I guess."

She nodded, writing down something on her clipboard. "That's normal. Situations like that can be stressful and uncomfortable. Do you want to talk to me about what the meeting was about?"

Poet shook his head, avoiding eye contact.

Earlier today he'd been at the Jones trailer with Juggie, F.P., V and her dad. It was...tense, to say the least. The whole meeting had been about the trailer park and the mayor. What was most stressful was the looks he got from Hiram, which Jughead had immediately picked on. After Veronica and Hiram left, Jughead took Poet into his room and asked about Hiram. And don't get Poet wrong, he was all for telling Jughead everything just like how Jughead did for him. Communication is key. But telling your kind of boyfriend that your best friend's dad, his enemy, is paying your therapy bills wasn't really a moment of strength. 

Jughead had taken a deep breath and sat down next to Poet resting his head on Poet's shoulder. "Just don't tell him anything, yeah?" Poet was quick to shake his head. "Never. The Serpents mean way to much to me, Bubba. You're not getting rid of me for a long time."

Poet smiled at the thought, remembering how they cuddled for a bit, talking out the Hiram issue until Poet had to leave for his appointment. 

"What are you thinking about?" Poet snapped back to reality. Mrs. Keaton looked back at him, a matching smile on his face. Poet bit his lip, trying to stop smiling. "Jughead."

Mrs. Keaton let out a soundless 'ahh' in understanding. She smiled and moved back into her seat. "You too are getting along fine still, I assume?"

Poet nodded. He'd told her about Jughead in their second meeting. He'd filled up the whole time without noticing, Mrs. Keaton not stopping him once. She instead asked him even more questions to see him smile and keep being happy.

In their third and fourth meeting they'd talked out his friends and life before, his parents. It wasn't until the sixth that they talked about Enoch in depth. It was safe to say Poet hadn't gone home feeling his best. But since he'd started therapy he definitely felt better.

"As this is our ninth meeting?" Poet nodded, confirming the number. Mrs. Keaton continued, "I have decided to recommend you to get treated for anxiety and depression. You'll have a meeting with a doctor and more official things later where we'll determine you're proper dosage and all that. What do you think?"