twenty eight

Poet twitched in his seat as the Lodge family conversed around him. The Pickens Day events had rustled a few feathers through the community, especially with the head of the statute cut off and missing. Poet had protested with Toni and Jughead during it and dogged the looks of Hiram Lodge. Afterwards him and Hiram had talked and Hiram was willing to let it slide, especially considering his original deal to not use Poet as a political piece. So, they agreed he could do what he wanted as long as it didn't cross any Lodge lines. Then they would have a harder, rougher talk.

Poet's eyes drifted from the crackling fire place to Veronica who sat next to him on the Lodge's couch. Sensing his gaze, Veronica turned her head and gave him a smile.

"What about you, Po Po? What do you think about all this?"

Poet shrugged, a little annoyed by the nickname but kept silent knowing it was just Veronica's way of showing love. "I don't know." He said. "I don't really feel comfortable with talking about it right now."

She nodded, understanding his position and turned back to her parents. "Changing the subject, I would like to talk about Poet's limits as my bodyguard. I know you mean well, daddy, but we need to set rules."

Hiram gave a nod, crossing his legs. "Currently, our agreement is anytime he's called on he'll come and walk with you, drive with you, shop with you. But if you have any other input, I'd be glad to hear it. This decision does concern you after all."

Poet sat up straighter, attempting to turn his full attention on the Lodge's. This was the biggest part of his deal with Hiram so it required his maximum effort.

"Well," Veronica started as she pushed back her hair, "I agree with him being called upon on your terms and when we need him, but for little things like walking back after Vixen's practice or going to my friends, I'll be fine. A girl needs her space."

Hermione nodded, agreeing with her daughter. "Does that sound okay with you, Poet?"

Poet nodded back. "Yeah, of course. Whatever you guys need. You've done so much for me it'd be wrong if I didn't return the favor."

The Lodges all smiled and stood up. Hermione and Veronica stayed in the living room while Poet grabbed his jacket, shooting a quick goodbye towards Ronnie before following Hiram out.

The two men walked to the door in an awkward silence. Or for Poet it was awkward. If Hiram felt it he didn't seem to show it.

As they approached the door, Hiram pulled it open, catching Poet before he walked out.

"Poet, I'd like you to look around and tell me if you hear anything about the head. It's a shame what happened with the statue."

Poet smirked, reading Hirams fake concern. "If I hear anything, if. I'll tell you. But, if it concerns my family or the Serpents in anyway, which I'm almost one hundred percent sure it doesn't, I'm staying quiet. I won't turn on my family. I'm sure you'd do the same."

Hiram nodded, his white teeth shining in the moonlight. "You're a smart boy, Poet."

"Yes I am. Goodnight."

Hiram moved back letting Poet down the steps and into the cold night.

Poet cursed as the biter frost bit as his cheeks, turning them red with every slap of the wind. He pulled out a cigarette and lit it, letting it dangle from his lips.

His deal with the Lodge's was certainly one of a kind. He wasn't Hiram's personal bitch, no, that was Archie's job.

Instead he was a Veronica's bodyguard but not full time since that was Andre's job. He was a collaborator of sorts. Poet was sure there was a better word for what he was but in all honesty he didn't really care. Now he belong to not two but three gangs or gang like associations all of which hated each other. How fun. Sure, they'd probably be some type of fight between all three, undoubtedly ending in catastrophe but until then Poet would stay with them. If there was one thing Poet was, it was loyal.