eighteen

Leaning against the prison fence, Poet watched Jughead hug F.P. Jones. Poet's lips twitched upwards before his face hardened again. F.P. didn't know Poet like Jughead did and Poet looked up to F.P., so being weak wasn't an option. Not to mention it was kind of his fault Jughead was a Serpent. F.P. looked over his son's shoulder at Poet who lowered his head, not wanting to make eye contact.

He and F.P. had a good relationship, or before they did before F.P. went to prison. Now, Poet wasn't quite sure where F.P. stood with him. If they were on good terms or not. It's kind of hard to tell with someone who's behind bars.  

F.P. let go of Jughead, giving him one last pat on the back before walking over to Poet.

Poet straightened up, biting his cheek. Oh fuck. F.P. narrowed his eyes at the Price boy, the tension thick enough to cut with a knife. Then F.P. broke into a smile and laughed, pulling Poet into a tight hug.

Poet laughed too, hugging the man back. God he missed him. 

"Good to see you, Price."

"You too, old man."

They'd borrowed Kusho's car for the special occasion, receiving many threats from her if it didn't find it's way back in one piece. Poet had nodded and agreed but had littered the car with tissues(unused)just to piss her off. 

Jughead sat in the front with Poet who was driving and F.P. sat in the back, leaning across into the front seat, laughing and joking with his son. Poet smiled at the two, a sinking feeling forming in his chest. He didn't miss his parents often but there was moments like these when he saw other families. Other families having fun and being happy and god did he want that.

Poet rolled into the parking spot, pushing the stick forwards into park. "We're here."

They climbed out of the car and into Pop's, sliding into the nearest open booth. Pops came and they ordered their food. "Jesus I missed this place."

Pops chuckled at F.P. "We missed you too."

Pops left, leaving the three by themselves. Jughead and F.P. looked at each other and started laughing and talking about an old memory about when Jughead was younger.

Poet, suddenly feeling very out of place and uncomfortable, slipped an arm around Jughead's shoulder and played with Jughead's hair. He hated this. Why was he here anyways? He wasn't a Jones. He wasn't apart of their family. Fuck this was a stupid idea. He was just the driver, that's all. They didn't need him for more than that.

Jughead felt Poet tense next to him, Poet's knee starting to bounce, a sign Jughead had learned meant the boy was anxious and/or something was wrong. 

Jughead rested his hand on Poet's knee, the bouncing stopping at the touch. He found Poet's hand, intertwining their fingers. 

Poet gave Jug a small smile, returning his gaze to the wall.

Across from them F.P. raised his eyebrow, holding his fry in mid air. He watched Jughead's face contort in concern at Poet. "So...are you two dating or what?" 

Jughead choked on his spit, Poet quickly making sure he was okay. Jughead waved him off, coughing into his elbow. 

"W-what? Why would you think that?"

F.P. shrugged, popping another fry into his mouth. "You two seem close. I just thought you'd make a cute couple."

A small grin spread across Poet's face. "I'm happy you think that, Mr. Jones."

F.P. waved him off, slouching into his seat. "Gah, I feel old when people call me that. F.P.'s fine."

Poet smiled and nodded. He looked at Jughead who's face was a flaming pink. He chuckled, Jughead elbowing him in the side.