fourteen

Jughead leaned against the car, arms crossed in anger. He half listened to Betty rambled next to him about the car and what not. Red filled his vision, his fists clenching as he listened to Betty stall.

"So this is what Serpents do for fun, huh? Street race rival gangs?"

Jughead shook his head, having enough. He turned to her. "Just go ahead and say it, Betty."

Betty looked down in shame before looking back up at him, playing the innocent card. "You said you weren't going to join them, Jug."

"And you said you loved me." 

Jughead glared at her, his emotions welling up inside him. "And then, you dumped, me via Archie, which, by the way, is way worse than via text."

Betty sighed, "I'm sorry, Jughead. It won't make any sense. But everything around us was imploding and I did it to protect you."

Jughead gave a heartless chuckle. "Betty, you did the one thing that could actually hurt me."

"I will explain everything to you, Jug. I will. But right now I just want to get you through this race." 

Jughead shook his head, feeling tears well up in his eyes. He stormed off towards Poet, leaving Betty to herself and the car.

Poet pushed Robbie into spilled oil on the floor, laughing as he wined then laughing more as he slipped trying to get up. Robbie gave a fake laugh before his eyes focused on something behind Poet. Poet stopped laughing, confused. He turned just as a close to tears Jughead rushed into his arms. 

He wrapped Jughead in his embrace. Robbed silently mouthed to Poet, asking if he was okay and Poet nodded, gesturing for him to go. 

Poet rubbed Jughead's back, letting the boy cry into his shoulder, shushing him gently. 

"It's okay, love. It's okay, you're alright. I'm here."

Poet let Jughead cry a few minutes longer and pulled away as he felt Jughead's breathing slow into small hiccups. He cupped Jughead's face in his hands. "What happened?"

Jughead's face hardened. "Betty. Jus-just everything with her and the race and the ghoulies! I'm trying to pretend like everything's okay but-but it's not and you and Toni and the others got arrested and I saw that cop punching you and Jesus...I-" Jughead whimpered, Poet pulling him into his arms again. 

He nosed Jughead's head, kissing his temple lightly. "Well, I'm okay. A few bumps and bruises but you should see the other guy. His nose looks like a plum!" Jughead chuckled into his chest, Poet laughing with him. "And this is a lot. With all the Serpent stuff and Betty shit. But you're doing amazing, Jug. If I was you I probably would have collapsed by now. But you-" He lifted up Jughead's chin to meet his eyes. "-you're a fighter Jughead Jones. And nothing's gonna stop you. I know it."

Jughead hugged him tightly, letting out a muffled thank you.

Poet chuckled, "Anything for you, Jonesy."

⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢⇠⇢ 

The empty dirt parking lot was filled with rowdy Serpents and Ghoulies, and surprisingly, a small amount of Northsiders. Poet waved at Kevin from his car, who's eyes widened and he quickly looked away, having been caught staring.

"God, could you have worn any less clothing with out being totally nude?"

Poet rolled his head, giving Kusho a dopy smile, his cigarette hanging out of the corner of his mouth. He let his sunglasses slip down the bridge of his nose. "Ohh, are you asking me to strip for you Kusho? I'll gladly do it, just get me some music and some bills."