twenty nine

On the balcony Poet took a deep drag of his cigarette, leaning his torso against the cold cement. He watched the smoke fall from his lips and get pulled away by the wind, the translucent cloud twisting and turning before melting into the air, out of sight.

Poet took another drag, thinking of anything but Enoch. Or Penny Peabody. Or the crime scene. Anything but them.

"Poet!" Poet coughed, choking in surprise and dropped the cigarette, crushing it with his boot into the pavement. He hadn't been smoking as much anymore with Jughead around, wanting to quit, knowing how much it bothered the writer. He noticed they'd both been smiling more too. They had an effect on each other, whether Jughead noticed it or not. But Poet did and the though of it made him smile, a warm feeling spreading in his chest. 

"Poet, I need you!"

He walked back into the house, closing the giant French doors behind him. Veronica smiled at him from her place in the middle, quickly skipping over to him. 

"So, Mr. Price. What do you think?" 

Veronica spun in front of him, her white dress twisting against the air. Poet clapped his hands together in happiness. "Ronica, your beauty is truly blinding. You're giving Betty White a run for her money."

She rolled her eyes and smiled, "Shut up, Po Po."

"You're right, no one can beat Betty white." Poet nodded to himself. The two went silent, their eyes meeting before they broke into huge smiles. "But seriously, you do look good, V."

She thanked him before walking back over to her tailor, Poet plopping down onto the couch next to Archie. He sent the red head a forced smile, Archie answering with a glare.

Poet just rolled his eyes, turning his body away from him. Fucking Carrot Top.

Veronica's confirmation was taking place in less than two hours. Poet, along with Veronica's friends had been invited to join her and her family. According to her, people usually did it when they were in the eighth grade but the Lodge's wanted it to be special. (Or just wanted to be extra. Either one.) 

Personally, Poet didn't understand what the big deal was about getting confirmed. He'd never been a religious person, not many people were on the Southside, but he'd always been respectful to others and their beliefs, a trait F.P. had told him had come from his mom. She'd always been kind to people, but not afraid to bite. 

The thought of his mother quickly turned to the Black Hood. Poet furrowed his eyebrows and changed his thought process to something not as depressing. 

"Oh, Poet." Poet lifted his head to meet Veronica's gaze in her mirror. "Your suit's ready next door, when you're ready to change." 

He sent her a grateful smile, hopping up to his feet and giving her quick kiss on the head, making sure to watch Archie's annoyed expression. "Thanks, V. I'll see you there, yeah?"

She nodded and with that, he was off. 

⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢ ⇠⇢

If there was one thing Poet looked good in, it was a suit. Well, if Jughead was being completely honest he looked good in anything and everything but the suit just hit different. The black blazer sculpted against Poet's arms, just tight enough so you could see his muscles without it ripping. He wore a button up black shirt, with the top four buttons undone, his bare skin slipping through just the tiniest bit.